Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th century Greek kranoi in Louvre
Khaire,
I found this.....the design looks rather unusual...or is that the angle of the photo...?
another picture here.....
side view
regard
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
The cheek-pieces have been bent out, not an unusual feature for helmets deposited in sanctuaries.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:The cheek-pieces have been bent out, not an unusual feature for helmets deposited in sanctuaries.
I found an article about a very similar kranos that was for sale...
Calling it 'extremely rare...'
A magnificent bronze Corinthian helmet of the Lotus Flower Group, Greek circa 7th to 6th century BC. It is approximately 28 cm high by 19 cm wide at the crown.
This one has supposedly been restored by Mainz Museum.....
It is a real beauty......I hope it ends up in the correct and appreciative hands.... Sad
What do you make of the design engraved above the nasal on the first kranos....?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
The seventh century BC showd a renewed vigor in the cult of Apollo-the Sun god and the consept of the "solar warrior", the defender of light.
So we see he "solar wheel" and other Apollonian symbols on shields and armor. Here we see the LYRA (harp) of Apollo.
Kind regards
Quote:The seventh century BC showd a renewed vigor in the cult of Apollo-the Sun god and the consept of the "solar warrior", the defender of light.
So we see he "solar wheel" and other Apollonian symbols on shields and armor. Here we see the LYRA (harp) of Apollo.
Kind regards
thank you Stefanos.....now I can see..... Big Grin
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Some early Kranoi 620-600 BC :wink:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Ooh....those last two are gorgeous......are they Cretan...?
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Hey guys - and Ladies, check these nice ETRUSCAN's weapons/armors too:

[Image: etruscanweaponsfrommuseum7lj.th.jpg]
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Quote:Ooh....those last two are gorgeous......are they Cretan...?

They were found in Crete but their origins are still under research.
Kind regards
Dear Stefane, your signature's image needs to be edit, because it doesn't appears to us...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
Quote:Hey guys - and Ladies, check these nice ETRUSCAN's weapons/armors too:

Very nice indeed... Big Grin The kranos with the inlay eyes is rather cute ....!
I was looking online at some Etruscan wall paintings from the mid 4th century bce yesterday .... all crested kranoi with feathers...!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Quote:
lupus:3vuj7kby Wrote:Hey guys - and Ladies, check these nice ETRUSCAN's weapons/armors too:

Very nice indeed... Big Grin The kranos with the inlay eyes is rather cute ....!
I was looking online at some Etruscan wall paintings from the mid 4th century bce yesterday .... all crested kranoi with feathers...!

Greetings my lady...

All these photos, are taken by a Navy officer (friend of mine), that he's with his battleship in Italy, for NATO's manoeuvres.
He took these, in an Italian museum; didn't wrote me which one...
aka Romilos

"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek kranoi in Olympia Museum Arthes 5 1,841 07-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Last Post: lupus