Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incredible Roman Textile Find in Rome\'s Catacombs!!!
I would agree with Jeff. Why all the pokes at Christians? I'm a Christian (no denomination, just the church Jesus built:Romans 16:16). and so far really enjoy all the threads on this site. I would like to keep it that way...
Why all the insults..?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
what insults do you mean?

did I portray any prophet in a silly manner in a cartoon? are you going to join the bearded turban wearing kalashnikov wielding ranks one day?

calling the !!!!historical!!! figure we know as Jesus a rebel is quite normal from the 1st century Roman viewpoint. and since i am a 1st century Roman re enactor, i share a lot of their viewpoints.

thus, also on christianity and any other intolerant religion.
Though i know enough about history not to think that christians are kannibalists.

I am not at all insulting, nor do i want to insult anyone believing what they want to believe.........

do so in your own right, in the comfort of your own house, like Jesus stated according to the new Testament. remove the beam in your own eye before removing the splinter in someone elses...

cast your stones if you have not sinned.

so if i make any remarks about or have any criticism on religion, it is my right of free speech i am defending, and i do not nessecarily have to agree with believers, secularists, gnostics, mystics, bhuddists, "paganists" occultists, and any ists or isms for that matter.

and now back on topic please.

M.VIB.M.

PROVOCATOR OPTIMvS MAXIMvS
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/319783.stm
http://www.athenapub.com/londlady.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/597762.stm
There was a rather good novel based around her too.....
Julia
PS = I hope the '1000' don't start an argument along the 'was Alexander a Macedonian or Greek' lines.....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I would like to know how and in what manner the skeletons were found: were they neatly stacked? piled haphazardly? what bones and were broken (if any) and to what extent do the breaks appear...what is the age range and gender (man, woman, child, young middle age, elderly?) was the preservation of this site possibly caused by a gas pocket within the catacombs, and if that is the case, could they not have died due to asphyxiation? Were these prisoners or were they political enemies of someone murdered and then hidden I am looking forward to more detailed information as well as pictures of the find..... Remember, there is more to this find than just preserved clothing. A little more food for thought, who were these people and why did they end up here... I highly doubt this would be early Christian because of the manner of preservation (lime) as opposed to the customary oils and spices that were used by the Jews of that period as well as the Christians. In short, we will not know who these people are until farther study and info is provided... Hopefully there will be some writings or scripts found preserved with these as well.... Food for thought for all....
To change your mind and to follow him who sets you right is to be nonetheless the free agent that you were before. (Marcus Aurelius)

LVCIVS VALERIVS HOMVLVS
(Clayton Braswell)
This is indeed a big problem in archaeological research. A lot of archaeologists working in the field believe that some very important thing took place on their dig-site. I know a prehistoric archaeologist who digs in Soedan and he believes the migration route of the Homo Sapiens out of Africa passed his digsite. Another archaeologist digging in the Near East believes in an alternate theory that has the migration route pass his digsite...

As archaeology isn't an exact science it is very hard not to see and interpret the remains the way you would like them to be. You cannot have a theory and interpret the evidence to fit this theory...

I'm very curious to know the dating results of these skeletons. I anxiously await a more in depth report.

Regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The more subjectively that this is taken, the better for everyone. If we take these finds to objectively, we may soon have a theory that men from Mars enveloped their brains and beamed them back down to where they though all humans were buried (or maybe Apollo's fury). Anyway, my point is that this is indeed a "gold mine" of information if used properly and not exploited by any particular group or person... Let's not speculate, but observe and learn.
To change your mind and to follow him who sets you right is to be nonetheless the free agent that you were before. (Marcus Aurelius)

LVCIVS VALERIVS HOMVLVS
(Clayton Braswell)
The posts in this thread which had nothing to do with the textile find in Rome have been moved to 'Off-Topic.' Please restrict further discussion in this thread to relevant material. Thanks.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Just wondering if anyone has heard of whether anything new has come to light with this find yet... the Roman Hideout had a short blurb about it, but nothing new...

LVCIVS VALERIVS HOMVLVS
(Clayton Braswell)
Daniel S Peterson\\n
Quote:

I agree. Do you know if the site is closed to independent archaeologists and/or anthropologists? or if anyone has any "secondhand knowlege" since after the find in 2003. I know second hand info isn't exactly reliable, but it would possibly provide a lead that could turn up something solid. If that is the case, we could at least start to get somewhere. I don't think we could go much backwards from what we already know about it per the Scotsman. BTW, how reliable of a source is the Scotsman? Every other source that I have found either quotes it directly, is a direct link to the Scotsman site or paraphrases the Scotsman. I am beginning to wonder if this was not some kind of hoax that is being covered up, but that is just speculation on my part.

LVCIVS VALERIVS HOMVLVS
(Clayton Braswell)
Oops... Dan's Comment didn't get included... here it is

"I am still perplexed that such an incredible find did not receive more coverage. Where's National Geographic, for example? I suspect if this was not a Vatican-controlled archaeological site, we would probably know more by now. "

LVCIVS VALERIVS HOMVLVS
(Clayton Braswell)
This seems to be a scientific publication of the find, and however still important, it seems not so spectacular as the media brought it back then...

http://www.academia.edu/1650947/A_mass_g...century_AD
a.k.a. Sebastiaan. "Timeo Danaos et doughnuts edentes" ;-)