Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incredible Roman Textile Find in Rome\'s Catacombs!!!
I actually discovered this quite inadvertently on Luca's informative Roman Hideout site, but see that it has picqued the interest of others -- yet surprising it was never given a Forum topic of its own until now (at least I think).

Perhaps someone with more computer talents can link to the Hideout article.

But in any case, according to the article, a huge chamber was discovered in a catacomb at Rome that was filled with "hundreds" of neatly stacked bodies of apparently quite affluent 1st century Romans. Suposedly gold thread could be seen woven into the fabrics of their clothing!

Is this a hoax? Why hasn't this been on the news and in every archaological website and magazine? Considering that the most important 'early' Roman costume find in history were the few tunics of the Bar Kochba defender's caves by Eine Gedi in Israel, this surely must surpass that a hundred-fold if the article is correct.

Can any RAT members in Rome check this out?
TEXTILE FIND ROME

Heres the link!

indeed a very interesting and tantalising find!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I also posted a link under 'More on Roman catacombs'Romancatacombs It was the first i'd heard of it......
it is also sparking a religious debate - see bottom of page Confusedhock:
TheScotman
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I have read a lot of the discussion going on at that other thread, ripping the finds into a debate on christianity... I am not really interested in the teachings of that IvDAEAN rebel, nor am i interested in any Catholic viewpoints about it, simply because the gospels all have been written about 70 years after his execution, have been re written, translated wrongly, misused, abused, and otherwise distorted.

i changed from being Roman Catholic in upbringing to Roman a long time ago.

I am however VERY interested in the clothing of these buried people!

especially the covering of the corpses with lime in an era most Romans were cremated interests me.

anyone who has photos of the finds available, please post them!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Ditto. I, too would also like to see more info on the cloth itself. It would be nice if everyone left their religion at the door. It has no place here.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
totally agree Dan! religion has no place here.......... :twisted:

H.J.Vrielink.
I'm trying to get in touch with the archeologist, but I was unable to be present to the press presentation last week.
Soon I have some more news I will post them.

It doesn't seems an hoax because in Italy many newspapers reported it, but here archeology has no space on the press, italians prefer gossip. Sad
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
The remains of a Roman woman were unearthed in London a few years ago, and there were fine gold threads in her coffin too. The remains are now on display at the Museum of London.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/319783.stm
http://www.athenapub.com/londlady.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/597762.stm
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for the links Robert!

Laudes point for speed!
The fact that they were not cremated (if truly of 1st century date), does strongly point to the bodies being Christian, because of the reseurrection beliefs of that religion. But the fact that the catacombs were built much later, leads me to believe this is just so much wishful thinking about the bodies being 1st century. But coins were often buried with the dead and maybe this is how they originally dated the finds. I have a gut feeling however, that this is just so much "catholic wishful thinking" that these are "martyred" Christians from the persecutions of Nero, and that the bodies will be of later date.

Since the bodies are supposedly those of "wealthy" Romans, it will be interesting to see if the skeletons are uniformly larger, than say, a probably more general population of the same period, in the mass of skeletons from the Herculaneum boathouses.

But the most interesting thing of all, of course, may be a look at real 1st century AD Roman clothing actually recovered from Rome itself!
Quote:I have a gut feeling however, that this is just so much "catholic wishful thinking" that these are "martyred" Christians from the persecutions of Nero, and that the bodies will be of later date.

Indeed, that is what happened many times with burials from antiquity which were uncovered during later times. Remember the Roman cemetary outside Cologne that was 'discivered' at the site of 10.000 martyrs, killed by the Huns!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
If "religion is to be left at the door" then why is everyone making eye-winking sarcastic remarks? Come on guys! Just leave it out. And that goes for you too M.VIB.M. You started and made the biggest waves! I could care less you stopped being a Catholic years ago and am even less interested in your reasons.

Jeff Wyss
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Hahahaha thank you for honoring me in that manner.. i always loved to start the biggest waves......... for with the waves, progress and debate truly starts......

thats why my Roman function was, and always will be,

provocator optimus maximus...

ill go now back to my gospel of Judas and read it again.....and again..... and again.... untill i know what really happened........

:wink:

M.VIB.M.

And Dan, i totally agree with you on this one..... wishful thinking is the most dangerous thing in Archaeology.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:If "religion is to be left at the door" then why is everyone making eye-winking sarcastic remarks? Come on guys! Just leave it out.

There was nothing 'eye-winking' about my comment! This happened, nothing simplistic or hilarious about it. Just the facts.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans