Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Byzantine Ships Unearthed in Turkey
Turkish archaeologists announce Tuesday that they have discovered an ancient Byzantine port in an area that was planned to be an underground station for a modern rail tunnel.

They're calling the find the "Port of Theodosius,'' after the emperor of Rome and Byzantium who died in the year 395, and say the items they're digging up here could shed significant light on the commercial life of this ancient city.

Like Romans, Athenians and other residents of the world's great historic cities, Istanbulites can hardly put a shovel in the ground without digging up something important.

So far, the archaeologists have found what they think might be a church, an old gate to the city and eight sunken ships, which archaeologist Cemal Pulak says he believes were all wiped out by a giant storm more than 1,000 years ago.
[url:mh7ikoea]http://www.livescience.com/history/060620_ap_turkey_port.html[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I Saw that boat!. You must see what is under Istabul streets!, ancient buildinds, the sizes are incredible, if I'm not wrong even the Caslte is underground too...

BTW: I must thanks the Turks!, at least they respect our Legacy, in every tunnel project or street they have & find an ancient remain, they avoid to destroy it & change the direction of the project to another.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Here's a longer piece : 1,500 Year Old Byantine Port Discovered

So they found my port, eh ? :wink:
Jaime
Quote:Here's a longer piece : 1,500 Year Old Byantine Port Discovered

So they found my port, eh ? :wink:

Yes your port! hehe.

this is the ship remains Istambul

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books and Biliography on Ancient Greek ships Hoplitesmores 3 2,105 05-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr