Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
been to the forum , few questions......
wow its a great site, and i loved it and spent all day there

but i just cannot seem to picture it as it was back then because all of it is in bad shape

how would the froum be different in ancient times?
what would it look like?
Pictures?
wasnt there some central meeting place, instead of just
two straight roads , and large temples and basilicas?
was it all gleaming clean marble or the more rusty feeling in the (forgive me ) ROME hbo series?
i really need an idea of what it looked like back then

write a little description if you can, or send some pictures please.

please reply before i leave the city if u can
Hi Francis,

Check this link: http://www.capitolium.org/eng/virtuale/virtuale.htm
Click on each of the thumbnails, a new window will open. Click on the modern picture that appears and you'll get an interpretation of 'back then'.

Have fun in Rome!.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Francis,

try google images using keywords like 'forum romanum' or 'forum reconstruction' and find lots of pics.

But your question depends on the special period. The forum as the 'heart of Rome', changed it's face. In early Republican times, there should have been for still some temples made of wood, for example. The Hollywood-marble look with 'epic' buildings better matches to (later) Imperial times.

So today's surviving ruins are the remains of the last stage of architecture there and show buildings, that have replaced older buildings...

It should be interesting to compare the 'early Rome' forum to Caesars days or Hadrian's or Constantine's.

Enjoy Europe - and don't panic. Nearly everywhere you'll find access to the world-wide-web :wink:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
err thanx for the site but uhhh what about the hbo series ? lets not discuss it very much just tell me if that color and aged feeling to the bulidings and the way the forum looke d in the series is accurate
Color? Since we don't have any photographs of Caesar's time we can't be sure, now can we? But the colours by themselves were not out of the ordinary, if that's what you're after.
Aged feeling? I don't doubt it, every time and age had old and new buildings in varying states of upkeep.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Not again... :lol:

Legion: TBD
Egad. He's standing IN Rome and wants to know why it doesn't look like television.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Amazing...
The Via Sacra/Fori Imperiali is getting to me for some reason... Big Grin
Why does the large square sandy coloured building remind me of a supermarket though....? :oops: I don't know why :oops:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Having been to ROME and the forum myself I have to say I was very impressed by it all.

Although there were no pictures obviously from that period, there are other ways to figure out colors. For instance the beautiful colors found on the majority of the buildings in Pompeii(which I also visited recently) are amazing. I don't think the Romans had any lack of color options and style.

I understand that many of the marble statues that to us look just like marble were in fact painted to look very life like. Further more things like Trajans Column as well apparently was painted. This meant that some of the details in the figures and scenes were painted and not carved. This can account for some of the differences that we see when compared to archeology.

Wasn't there a post here recently about some scientist using some kind of spectrum or chemical analysis to figure out what color one of the statues used to be?

Cheers
Markus

P.S and enjoy Europe
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Wasn't there a post here recently about some scientist using some kind of spectrum or chemical analysis to figure out what color one of the statues used to be?

anyone know if it worked?
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.