Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An error in Casson, Ships and Seamanship
For those who are interested, here's a minor error I spotted in Lionel Casson, Ships and Seamanship on the Ancient World.

On page 163, he says that kerkouros (the name of a Greek merchant galley) is derived from "the Assyrian word qurqurru, a Mesopotamian riverboat". He refers to a Finnish book from 1938.

However, Assyriologists now know better. The word is derived from from Sumerian magurgurru, MA2.GUR4.GUR4, which means "large boat" and happens to be word in the Sumerian and Babylonian Epic of the Flood, so it means "Ark".

It remains to be seen if there is a connection with Greek kerkouros, because magurgurru appears to have been a rare, high-brow word, not a word used by common sailors.

The misunderstanding appears to have been created when someone read the MA2-sign as determinative, and took gurgurru for the main word.

The error can also be found in The Mariner's Museum, A Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft: From Aak to Zumbra (2002).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
To be fair, I think the first print of SSAW is of the early 70's.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yes, that's true (1971; identical reprint 1986), but it's still in use, and, as The Mariners' Museum shows, not everybody realizes that scholarship sometimes proceeds.
Jona Lendering
My website
True. And an interesting etymology anyways. Reminds me of the ship in the Gilgamesj epic. Nice and square Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:However, Assyriologists now know better. The word is derived from from Sumerian magurgurru, MA2.GUR4.GUR4, which means "large boat" and happens to be word in the Sumerian and Babylonian Epic of the Flood, so it means "Ark".
Just to be pedantic, magurgurru is the Akkadian translation of Sumerian magur, "barge." ma2 is Sumerian for "boat." Pop over to the Penn Sumerian Dictionary and put ' ma2 ' in the search box at the bottom to see some of the combinations.

Quote:Reminds me of the ship in the Gilgamesj epic. Nice and square Big Grin
ma2-gur8, in addition to meaning "barge," is some sort of "geometric figure."
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
There must be a new award for pedantry! Thanks for finetuning it.
Jona Lendering
My website