Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im in rome!
wow its a great city
im writing this from a hotel not far from the forum

who else has been to rome-?
what is your favorite site in the city?
do u like the city?
It is a great city with nice museums and great things to see, but this should be in OT!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:what is your favorite site in the city?
I love all of it, but I recommend a visit to the Centrale Montemartini, Via Ostiense 106, a little-known museum of ancient sculpture in a former power plant. Metro Garbatella.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
That's great! I was there about two months back. Be sure to visit the typical roman sites like the vespasian amphitheater, forum, pantheon, ect. Then there is the caracalla baths, circus maximus, and a couple of ancient temples like the ones to hercules (sorry I don't remember where in the city they are), the walls, and a few others. Don't remember what the names of the museums are :oops: . Where else are you going in Italy? You MUST try to get to pompeii and herculaneum (sp?).

P.S. If you want a great pizza place there is a nice one off the vatican in the back streets. If you are facing St. Peter's bassilica, on the right there is an arch behind the pillars. Go straight out through the arch, make a right and head straight. Keep going till you can't anymore and make a left. Then go straight and on your right there will eventually be a place that sells pizza. That's it, I don't know if it has a sign, if it does than it only says pizza. Great pizza, great prices, gotta love it.
~~Gavin Nugent~~

Who told you to die! Keep fighting!

If anyone knows of anything in Long Island, New York please tell me.
Wow! I'm sooo jealous. I wish I could go see the real thing. I wouldn't want to miss a single museum.
Rich Marinaccio
Francis, if you get the chance, go out of the city to Ostia, the port of Roma.

The preservation is fantastic.

Enjoy your time there and make sure you take plenty of photographs!

Regards,
Yeah, I highly recommend Ostia, too. It's easy to get there by public transportation.

If you stay long enough and can afford it, take the train from Rome to Naples and visit Pompeii. I recall that there is a train station right in front of the main entrance to the excavation site. That is much better than going by an organized bus tour as I'd done it.
I've been in Rome once for five days, which was by far not enough to see everything... The forum is great, the Panteon is magnificent, Circus Maximus, the Colloseum (can you imagine 50 000 Romans cheering you to victory when you stand in the middle ?), ... the Baths of Caracalla were closed when I was there, it's a pity.
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
i have been to All the ancient sites in rome
i think my favorite is the panthoen it is aweosme
but it is kind of weird that they turned a pagan temple into a christian church
i cant go to ostia , not enough time i am leaving rome tomorow

but iam catching a train to naples, and going to the pompei vesuvius area!
i cant wait!

oh AND guess what when i went to the colosseum there were some renactors of the praetorinan guard

oh and thanx for direction to the pizza place, ill go there
there is really great food here

after naples im going to venice and then milan, and then believe it or not to cairo
Don't forget to visit the Archaeological Museum in Naples, where many objects from Pompeii can be seen, like the Alexander Mosaic. It also hosts much sculpture from the Baths of Caracalla.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
bring us back some goodies

Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)