Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of known helmets and their whereabouts
Did you guys include Montefortino helmet at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology in Philadelphia, PA?
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Yes, Andrew, the Pennsylvania helmet is in the database.It's quite an item with some interesting features - in particular the way that the cheekguards are made/shaped is somewhat unique.

Martin: I think the Ribchester helmet is there as well, but I'll check in today and see to make sure.

Caratacus
(Dr. Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:Hilary:

Must be slipping here. Did you send me your list? If you did - did I thank you for it? (If not, I apologise for my rudeness!) I have a vague memory of sending you a disc with my database thereon. You may need an update as I've added a lot since then as well as making some corrections and including two more indices.

BTW, my own database of helmets is now approaching 500. Any advance anyone? (Winner gets a bag of Dolly Mixtures!) :lol:

Caratacus (Dr. Mike Thomas)

Hi Mike
Yes I did send you the list & you did indeed send me a disk of your database at the time - along with a disk version of your book.
My own list only grew slightly larger since then as I have been rather busy. I had to leave the ultimate, definitive list to you, as you appear to have access to worldwide contributers on RAT.
I will look forward to seeing the full list when finished - although it will never actually be finished - more is always being found each day.

I would have enjoyed the Dolly mixtures though (not had those for years - do they still make them?).

Hilary
I have not been able to open the Helmet Database for ages.. what's up with it? :?
Our host has updated to php5. Some of the code needs to be changed. I've already contacted the developer and received a helpful reply. I'll make the changes asap.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It Works!!!!
Big Grin D
Thanks Jasper!
Quote:List now emailed to Mike, Jasper & Fectio

Hilary

Hi Hilary, I know I'm a bit late out, but I hope you still see this list.

I'm planning a tour d'Roman Helmet this summer. I'm going to a motorcycle rally in southern Germany, and thought I would visit as many museums showing roman helmets as possible on the way from Denmark.

I've been going through the helmet database of this site, but then I saw the postings about your list of helmets, and thought there might be helmets there worth a visit.

So if possible I would be very happy if you would mail me a copy of the list, please.

Ave atque Vale
Jan
Not sure what the deal is with the helmet database but I've got pictures of some of the ones that are currently lacking an image (ie all the late ones in the museum in Budapest for a start). Who should I be sending them to?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Not sure what the deal is with the helmet database but I've got pictures of some of the ones that are currently lacking an image (ie all the late ones in the museum in Budapest for a start). Who should I be sending them to?
Good man!

That would be Mike Thomas, I guess: <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1370">memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1370<!-- l
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!