Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Herbal) Tea?
I just read a novel which was set in the time of Antoninus Pius and played at the Antonine Wall. When reading a historical novel I always wonder how good the research by the author was esp. if he teaches Ancient History at an university. Since I'd noticed some other mistakes in that book I stumbled of course about the following:

In one scene there was served tea. I know for sure that he of course didn't mean black tea but some kind of a herbal tea, but didn't mention what type. That scene more reminded me of serving the five-o'-clock tea than to drink an infusion of herbs to cure some illness. Therefore I wonder if anyone here could tell me if the Romans and Britons knew herbal tea already and if so, if it was used just for medical treatment or also just for the pleasure to drink something hot like we do nowadays.
The Romans used so many herbs medicinally that I don't doubt they infused some of them into a tea-like drink. I don't think they actually drank tea, though.

I've also heard that they had some sort of vinegar drink - that will wake you up in the morning!

~Aurelia
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.theromanway.org[/url]
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.legionten.org[/url]

Si vales, gaudeo. (If you are well, then I am happy.)
Greetings,
if the Indians were drinking tea in the time of Alexander, I have no doubt that he was offered a cup of tea....probably with honey although maybe not milk...!
Both tea and liquidised sugar cane were known in China in the 4th century bce and the origins of tea seem to be in India, although the Chinese have the earliest records of using it, possibly 4,000 years ago...
Infusions of various leaves, herbs and fruits would have also been drunk, especially in the colder weather. although I think this would have been more a feminine pastime...real men drank wine...or beer... depending on what side you are on...! It hasn't changed much if you think about it....!
Italians and Greeks drink wine, English and Germans drink beer....etc :roll: :roll:
If this was a Roman up on the Borders, I should imagine a hot drink would be very welcome at times...! Maybe clover tea with honey...or even heather tea, which is supposedly a very strong brew...!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
The Butser Ancient Farm offers an article, "Herbs of the Celts" by Dr. Peter J. Reynolds" I haven't read it, but maybe it mentions something of herbs as a drink. Herb use by the Britons could apply equally to the Romans once they settled on the island — just as the English took up the custom of smoking after arriving in the New World.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Are dandelions a common weed in mainland Europe, as well as Britain? Here in West Virginia (U.S.A.), the mountaineers who settled in the east end of the state made lots of herbal teas from the leaves of what has since become the most lawn-destructive plant in the country.

Mostly being Scotts, they also brought lots of the older northern English recipes for herbal drinks and remedies with them, some of which are claimed to be quite old. Wether they drank them recreationally or socially in the old country is something I've heard next to nothing about.
Lucius (Ryan)
Montani Semper Liberi
I read & i think it is a very interesting novel.May be it mentions as something of herbs as a drink.I've also heard that they had some sort of vinegar drink - that will wake you up in the morning!
Blooming Tea
Chinese Tea
Green Tea
A lot of utensils with perforations (types of sink) both metal and clay have been discovered in Athens Agora. anumber is exibited in the museum.
They range from Geometric to Roman period.
This tells us that ancients knew making "herbal - teas" or other aphepsims.
Medical writngs and "natural histories" can be used as basis to what was drunk -when and for what reason.

Kind regards
I love Iced Tea... Knowing Romans probably did not use ice to chill drinks...It makes me sad to think what they missed out on Tongue
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Iced tea!!! the bane of civilised folk. :twisted:
Tea should only be drunk after it has "stewed" in a Dixie for half an hour.
Then topped off with lashings of condensed milk. Big Grin D D
A true Para's drink.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
I remember reading somewhere that the romans used to drink warmed wine in the colder months, I suppose possibly a bit like a mulled wine... Not sure if it would have been quite as spicy though!
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
Quote:I remember reading somewhere that the romans used to drink warmed wine in the colder months, I suppose possibly a bit like a mulled wine... Not sure if it would have been quite as spicy though!

There are several recipies in Apicius for spiced wines (and very nice they are too!) as well as one for absinthe.
As it was common practice to mix wine with water (to do otherwise was considered barbaric) and the water was sometimes hot (or even hot and salty if boiled sea-water was used) I would think that the notion of the hot 'herbal' infusion was one which they were very familiar with.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:
Lucius valerinus:3v3hehsn Wrote:I remember reading somewhere that the romans used to drink warmed wine in the colder months, I suppose possibly a bit like a mulled wine... Not sure if it would have been quite as spicy though!

There are several recipies in Apicius for spiced wines (and very nice they are too!) as well as one for absinthe.
As it was common practice to mix wine with water (to do otherwise was considered barbaric) and the water was sometimes hot (or even hot and salty if boiled sea-water was used) I would think that the notion of the hot 'herbal' infusion was one which they were very familiar with.

Wow, i never realise Absinthe stemmed back as far as Roman times!... That stuff is lethal!... How easy is it to make your own authentic roman absinth?
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
Quote:Wow, i never realise Absinthe stemmed back as far as Roman times!... That stuff is lethal!... How easy is it to make your own authentic roman absinth?

Very simple. I've had interesting results using grand wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) that I've grown at home (Apcicius recommends wormwood grown in Camerinum or Santo), combined with hazelwort (nard/Asarum Europaeum) and alecost (both homegrown), saffron and a bit of Cypriot mastic.

Heated up together, simmered for an hour, left to cool and then filtered cold.
Very bitter (as you'd expect from a wormwood infusion) and, as it's not distilled it relies on the properties of the wormwood (and the alecost) for it's effect so it's not 'lethal' like the spirits you can buy these days, which rely more on their alcohol content rather than their ingredients for their effects.

Nice with a bit of honey mixed in.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:I love Iced Tea... Knowing Romans probably did not use ice to chill drinks...It makes me sad to think what they missed out on Tongue
It's still the same way in Italy, the Italians don't serve ice with their cold beverages. Having been raised European Italian, I don't chill my drinks either, so the ancient Romans would probably have thought it a strange custom, just as many Italians do today when Amewrican tourists ask for ice. :wink:
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
a.k.a Julia Passamonti-Colamartino
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
<a class="postlink" href="http://venetiancat.com">http://venetiancat.com
Once I learned to herd cats, I realized that ANYTHING is possible..."
Vinegar water was called posca. Mostly water, enough vinegar to kill waterborne critters, maybe about a tablespoon per liter. It was most likely wine vinegar, not the white or apple sort we usually buy in grocery stores today. They had a steady supply of "soured" wine, no doubt, as airtightness wasn't their long suit, once the amphora had been opened.

Surprisingly, it's not unrefreshing at all, and doesn't taste bad. Sort of like unsweetened KoolAid. On more than an overnight camp, I generally add a little lemon or lime juice to the canteen, more to combat the stale, unoxygenated taste of "old water" than for health reasons.

And the Romans wouldn't have had a good way to make ice, so they'd only be able to get ice in the winter, which is not the best time to drink cold beverages, typically. So they probably didn't know anything about iced tea. But if they lived here in Texas, they'd surely drink it when the temperature warms up to about August 20th levels. 38 or 39 degrees C are normal, not uncommon. A cold drink can be a lifesaver.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.