Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindolanda drawstring pouch
Salvete,

When I visited Vindolanda I saw a simple leather drawstring pouch in one of the cases. It was constructed out of a circular piece of leather. Can someone give me the dimensions of this pouch? I measured the diameter at the time but I seem to have lost the piece of paper I wrote it down on...

Thanks in advance,
Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Or a photo? I can't remember seeing it when I was there.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
If you mean the one published in

Vindolanda. Research Reports, New Series. Vol. III The Early Wooden Forts. Carol van Driel-Murray, John Peter Wild et al. 1993

it says:

"It is merely a roughly cut circle of leather 26.5cm in diameter with slits around the edge" (p.49)
Salvete,miles,
Wow,that seems to be a large pouch. I thought it would be smaller.
Would you hang this around your neck?

Oh,well,DUH!! :oops:
I just made a paper mock-up and once folded
doesn't seem all that big.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Thanks Martin!! How many slits does it have?

When I've got time I'll post a picture of another pouch from vindonissa I made. It's a little more complex, consisting out of two halves with a reinforcement for the seam and triangles as reinforcement at the corners. This is a very big purse.

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:How many slits does it have?

7 slits, with an average length of 1/4th of the diameter, so about 6.5cm roughly
I doubt that 7 slits was a firm rule, leather bags can have different numbers of string slits, as decided by the owner. 8 is easy enough, and doesn't require measurement. 6 would be too few, because the pleats would probably get to be too large, and the bag would be ungainly. An even number of slits has the string coming out on the same side as it enters. An odd number will put the string at the start on the opposite face of the leather.

A circular leather with slits (running radially) is about a simple a bag as can be made. And it would work for nearly any period of time, up to our own.

Just opinion here by me, though, not archeological fact.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Marcus, have you found time to locate the picture of the other pouch you made? I would be very interested in seeing that reconstruction. Big Grin wink:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Hi Robert,

Here are some pictures of the bag from Vindonissa I made. I can take better pictures if you want. On the last picture you can see I added a shoulder strap.

[url:1bqsvykz]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/MarcusMummius/zakjevindonissavlakklein.jpg[/url]

[url:1bqsvykz]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/MarcusMummius/zakjevindonissaklein.jpg[/url]

[url:1bqsvykz]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/MarcusMummius/zakjevindonissariemklein.jpg[/url]
You can put a lot of stuff into this bag:-)

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Looks good! I need to make a bag for storing my glasses, carkeys, quick snack (and the cellphone :oops: ) and am looking for inspiration. So much to do still ..... :roll:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
The size of this bag would be ideal for these needs.

In my bag: two wooden bowls, a knife, a wooden spoon, a brass patera, flint and steel, several pieces of buccelatum (=Romeinse scheepsbeschuit), spare fibulae, rags and some leather straps (you never know when they'll come in handy Smile ). I still have some room left in the bag.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Wow! It looked way too small to hold all these items, what is the size, so hard to judge from a foto without a ruler. Guess: 25 x 20 centimeters, sides 6 :?:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Sorry about the lack of a scale, these were just quick snapshots :oops:

The dimensions are about 27cm (height) and 23cm width. These are estimates though. The bag does not have side gussets. It surprised me too how much I could put in the bag Smile

I have drawn a pattern for this bag using the measurements from Murray's report. If you want I can scan it (with a scale Tongue ) and email it to you. I won't be at home the next two or three weeks but I can do it when I get back.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
He, that would be great! Perhaps we could start a "leather reconstructions gallery" with the "bag-man" Martin. Posting good drawings of finds with dimensions could inspire other reconstructions. Did you use linnen thread on the seams? Waiting two weeks is no worry, as I am working on my belt at the moment. Wish I could buy brass blanks for the apron studs here, may even use 20 cent euro coins Big Grin Most fitting, nice shiny yellow brass, will have to sink the brass rivets though, soldering the studs on seems tricky.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Okay, I'll send it to you as soon as possible.

I used waxed linen thread for all the sewing, yes. I think I made a couple of things more difficult than needed when making this bag. You can profit from this experience :wink:

I would like a gallery with patterns and reconstructions too. I love making things out of leather.

I need to buy a couple of hides real soon as there are at least 4 bags I want to make right now...

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pouch from Israel Martin Moser 45 9,176 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser