Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace yourselves... LAST LEGION (late Roman film)
Quote:Forget that Aishwarya woman, Alexander Siddig would get me interested in the film
Sorry, but Aishwarya Rai is unforgettable, and she is still splendorous, but when i met her some 10 years ago she was stunning, I am still recovering from the impression :wink:
AKA Inaki
Oh come on, guys!

It's a film! Not a historical docu-drama. I takes elements, tropes, myths and weaves them together to make a good story.

I have long since divorced historical accuracy from fiction. I do historical accuracy, authentic re-enactment. THEY do story and messing with history, pulling bits from history that help the audience with reference and mixing familiar with unfamiliar ...

You must all relax!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I completely agree with Paul. The film is a fantasy ... Historical fiction combined with the King Arthur mystique. It's not trying to be anything more than that.

I saw the film as soon it came out in the theaters because 1) Roman stuff of course 2) tied to King Arthur!

I enjoyed seeing Colin Firth in a tougher role than he usually plays, and huzzah for Aishwara Rai -- I really loved her character. When Hollywood puts an ethnic woman in these films, she's usually cast in an submissive role, or needs "saving" ... Puhleez! :x I'm glad they didn't go that route.

Sure, we can keep poking at the historical accuracy and absurdity of it, but no one ever claimed it was a documentary! The Last Legion is an exciting adventure film. The casting and acting was very good, and i had fun. That's what we go to the movies for, isn't it? :wink:
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote: Alexander Siddig would get me interested in the film

No, he doesn't have a big role Joanne, but he's still very cool. Smile
I remember watching him when he was in Star Trek deep Space Nine. BTW, he's in Kingdom of Heaven if you haven't seen that yet.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:I completely agree with Paul. The film is a fantasy ... Historical fiction combined with the King Arthur mystique. It's not trying to be anything more than that.

Yes yes, I agree with both of you. What got me started was not that this one (or KA for that matter) were trying to be historical or anything like that. I mean, of COURSE we´re the ones doing the real stuff and they do not. But movies like these reach thousands of people and it galls me that this is the image they leave in thousands of minds.

WE know it´s not historical, but most viewers do not. I still get questions about how accurate Gladiator was - go figure. That´s what galls me.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
By the way, you can find the trailer here:

[url:352gl7wk]http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/thelastlegion/trailer1/[/url]

It looks like something that would have absolutely thrilled me...when I was eight or nine or thereabouts... :wink:

I'll probably get me the DVD when it's in the bargain bin for 5 euros.

Amazing, the 5th century is full of exciting drama, yet they keep on producing bad fantasy snoozefests placed in it...
Andreas Baede
LOL I got it in the bargain bin for less than 5 euros, last month, in Lithuania, and showed it to some friends, and we all were ... well, someone wrote a review... And then I saw it was being furiously advertised in the train station at Mainz, along with a new car and something else.
I'd rather wait for the latest Resident Evil flick, or even see Bourne Ultimatum again! Or better yet, get out the "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" DVD.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"
Now THAT'S funny stuff! How many geese in a gaggle?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Senovara:2msd9shf Wrote:I completely agree with Paul. The film is a fantasy ... Historical fiction combined with the King Arthur mystique. It's not trying to be anything more than that.

Yes yes, I agree with both of you. What got me started was not that this one (or KA for that matter) were trying to be historical or anything like that. I mean, of COURSE we´re the ones doing the real stuff and they do not. But movies like these reach thousands of people and it galls me that this is the image they leave in thousands of minds.

WE know it´s not historical, but most viewers do not. I still get questions about how accurate Gladiator was - go figure. That´s what galls me.
Even though, the movie (just considered as an entertaining movie) [size=200:2msd9shf]SUCKS[/size].
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Well, I think we can at least rest assured that, Hollywood isnt discriminating and being innacurate with just EPIC movies, it does that to ALL movies, the setting is irrelevant.

In movies, people get spayed with an uzi at pointblank and dont die.
In movies, gravity is there, but ONLY for the bad guys.
In movies, Caesar was really the one to forge the mighty Excalibur, in Britain of all places, an isle he never fully conquered.

In documentaries, however, things may go a little different.

Remember, movies are to entertain the mob. Documentaries are to enligthen them. If fewer people prefer to know the truth, well, that is life aint it, you have the 95% ignorant and unaware majority, and the 5% ''inteligentsia'' folk.

Still, I want to watch it, even if for the humour factor Big Grin
Quote:Even though, the movie (just considered as an entertaining movie) [size=200:2uf5jut8]SUCKS[/size].

…and this was exactly the point made by most of the (overwhelmingly negative) reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Movies like “The Last Legionâ€
Andreas Baede
Is this movie actually being released in the UK?
Quote:Is this movie actually being released in the UK?

Hmmm...I suspect it may have disappeared from the cinemas already. Here in the Netherlands, only a cinema in the provincial city of Ede (pop 67,000+) still shows it, elsewhere the movie quickly disappeared.

You'll probably have to do with either an illegal download or the probably low-profile DVD-release in X months... 8)
Andreas Baede
Quote:I'll probably get me the DVD when it's in the bargain bin for 5 euros...

Gimme a call when you do. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Watching that crap, there was a funny moment, when the "fellowship of the sword" arrived at Hadrians wall and everybody felt impressed and astonished, and Ambrosius begun to tell it's history and shit, and then, suddenly I whispered to my friend: -"It's just a model"-. :lol:

(Like Monty Pythons Holly grail movie scene when they reach Camelot... :wink: )
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]