Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Military Clothing (2)
Hi

Colour Plate C figure 1 has a straw hat ....... anyone (Mr Sumner?) know what this is based on ?

Looks very ChineseSmile

Cheers

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Check out this thread:

link from old RAT
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Cheers Tarbicus Big Grin

Read it but Graham does not state where he got the hat on the Legionary ??
Conal Moran

Yoda
Hello Conal

As stated in the other thread, as far as I know there are no depictions of Roman soldiers of any period wearing straw hats surviving from antiquity. The hat in my illustration is therefore based on those seen in a number of mosaics, especially from North Africa but nothing from a military context or dated from the first or even second century AD.

The soldiers shown marching on Trajan's Column have their helmets off and attached over the chest. In such circumstances a soldier marching on a hot day might have worn a hat to keep the sun off. It would not be regulation issue but is the sort of thing soldiers do because they generally have more common sense than the regulations.

A number of hats do survive from Egypt but they are in felt I have never seen a straw one although what might be a hair-moss cap has been found at Vindolanda. If it is a hat it looks more bizarre than a straw one!

If there is anything else I can help with I will try my best.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:I have never seen a straw one although what might be a hair-moss cap has been found at Vindolanda. If it is a hat it looks more bizarre than a straw one!
Hi Graham, is that the one which has also been possibly identified as a centurion's crest?

[Image: helmet.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jim

No it is something different. It appears in Vindolanda Research Reports Volume 3. 1993. Plate XIII

John Peter Wild says it is paralleled by a similar 'cap' from the late Flavian fort at Newstead. Both items have been classed as baskets!
I have never seen the Newtead version but only the top or bottom half of the Vindolanda type survives. It looks like a scalp and I think even one suggestion was that it was even a hairpiece!

I seem to recall that the people at Vindolanda thought it could also be the Roman equivalent of the Australian hat with the corks hanging from it, to keep the midges away from the face and if you have ever been to Vindolanda you will know what they mean!

Graham
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Quote:I have never seen a straw one although what might be a hair-moss cap has been found at Vindolanda. If it is a hat it looks more bizarre than a straw one!
Hi Graham, is that the one which has also been possibly identified as a centurion's crest?

[Image: helmet.jpg]

Jim I think this is really a Roman merkin!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Baskets? Confusedhock: Hmm.

Interesting that moss hair should find two uses above the forehead, potentially. Thanks.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks

I was recntly in China and saw a few hats which were very similar to the ones shown on here ... seems likley that once someone got a weaving they came up with a similar solution to the subject.

I have seen one in a Halstat wagon grave which looks almost identical to a chines coolies hat.
Conal Moran

Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trappings and decoration of Roman military clothing Alaa Barraneia 2 1,429 12-30-2016, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Trappings of Roman military clothing Alaa Barraneia 4 1,692 03-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Military Units Clothing and armour Clearchus_of_Sparta 5 2,147 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner