Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That\'s it, folks... I\'ll have a go at making a linothorax!
Quote:Damn! This must be VERY expensive to do, fellows! Re-making weapons/armors and such...
I was like to buy the Arwen's sword (from "LOTR" Trilogy's movies) and here in Athens, it costs... 580 EUROS!!! When the common salary is 500 EUROS!!!

Man! I would SO MUCH to get a FULL Lacedaimonian equipment of 5th century ("Corinthian" helmet with an officer's side-long plume, a "Kodonoschemus" cuirass, a pair of greaves, a "leaf" shape classic sword and... the "Hoplon")!!!
It would be a FINE decoration for my living-room!

LUCKY YOU!

Indeed and then, whenever you heard the call to arms, you could take the whole panoply OFF the wall and get your body OUT of the living-room, with said panoply ON said body, and do something useful with it!

Syndicatearmoury have now produced bronze helmets and greaves. They should be available in the next year and I think the price will be reasonable. Movie replica swords are generally expensive and good-looking rubbish.

You can relieve some of the economic pressure by making elements of your kit yourself. Then you can stop playing board games or the couch potato* and come and play with the rest of us.

(* I don't suppose you really are one, but if you sit around gazing lovingly at a panoply which stays on the wall, you will surely become one!)
Quote:
lupus:1uw96mnx Wrote:Damn! This must be VERY expensive to do, fellows! Re-making weapons/armors and such...
I was like to buy the Arwen's sword (from "LOTR" Trilogy's movies) and here in Athens, it costs... 580 EUROS!!! When the common salary is 500 EUROS!!!

Man! I would SO MUCH to get a FULL Lacedaimonian equipment of 5th century ("Corinthian" helmet with an officer's side-long plume, a "Kodonoschemus" cuirass, a pair of greaves, a "leaf" shape classic sword and... the "Hoplon")!!!
It would be a FINE decoration for my living-room!

LUCKY YOU!

Indeed and then, whenever you heard the call to arms, you could take the whole panoply OFF the wall and get your body OUT of the living-room, with said panoply ON said body, and do something useful with it!

Syndicatearmoury have now produced bronze helmets and greaves. They should be available in the next year and I think the price will be reasonable. Movie replica swords are generally expensive and good-looking rubbish.

You can relieve some of the economic pressure by making elements of your kit yourself. Then you can stop playing board games or the couch potato* and come and play with the rest of us.

(* I don't suppose you really are one, but if you sit around gazing lovingly at a panoply which stays on the wall, you will surely become one!)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Nice put, English fellow! Hahaha!... Yea, I'm "close" to be a... rusty panoply and they should close me in a closet with a label "Open in SERIOUS circumstances"!!!

I would LOVE to see an on-line store, selling Classic Hellenic "replicas"!
And if the prices are reasonable, I WILL order a full-Spartan equipment!

About the last one, my lad... I'm WAY FAR from you to come and join you in your weekend's "games", don't you think? 5-6 hours away with PLANE!
How can I possibly come there easily?
Hmm, maybe next year when I'll make a long trip to Scotland & Ireland, I'll come!
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Quote:[HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Nice put, English fellow! Hahaha!... Yea, I'm "close" to be a... rusty panoply and they should close me in a closet with a label "Open in SERIOUS circumstances"!!!

About the last one, my lad... I'm WAY FAR from you to come and join you in your weekend's "games", don't you think? 5-6 hours away with PLANE!
Hmm, maybe next year when I'll make a long trip to Scotland & Ireland, I'll come!

Let's make it a date - unless we can persuade the organisers of the Promitheia to create a slot for Living History and Military displays, in which case , I will come to you! In the meantime, there are already groups and individuals in Greece doing military displays, you can join them. We Hoplite re-enactors have a Forum at <http://greekfestival.proboards52.com> . Try it.

( Just for your information, the phrase "my lad" is normally considered a rather patronising form of address in English and is best avoided, especially when addressing someone old enough to be your father! :lol: .)
Quote:
lupus:189sac28 Wrote:[HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Let's make it a date - unless we can persuade the organisers of the Promitheia to create a slot for Living History and Military displays, in which case , I will come to you! In the meantime, there are already groups and individuals in Greece doing military displays, you can join them. We Hoplite re-enactors have a Forum at <http://greekfestival.proboards52.com> . Try it.

( Just for your information, the phrase "my lad" is normally considered a rather patronising form of address in English and is best avoided, especially when addressing someone old enough to be your father! :lol: .)

Thanks for the info...

And sorry if I've used a phrase not "suitable"...

(BTW - you couldn't be my father, dear friend, 'cause you're 53 and I'm 35+9 months! So... unless you became father in highschool, I couldn't be your child... Anyway, AGAIN I'm sorry if I insault you...)

Oh... tell me something... How come most of you guys having a REALLY LARGE avatar-picture, while me I can't set something bigger than 40x40 pixels??? Any help?
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
Quote:Oh... tell me something... How come most of you guys having a REALLY LARGE avatar-picture, while me I can't set something bigger than 40x40 pixels??? Any help?

I checked the avatar properties....your avatar is double the byte size of most..... no...it's not that, Comerus has a bigger one...avatar that is... Smile
Try reducing the file size, if you use Photoshop, in 'save for web' and play with the variants until you get a balance...you may lose some quality (I think mine is about 40)...but the image will be bigger.... :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
115*115 pixels & 6 Kb are in fact the maximums for avatars. Try saving your jpg at 75% compression. That ought to work.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks my lady...

And you, "Jasper Oorthuys", thanks too...

(I'm quite a... master in Photoshop; but I'm TOTALY a "baby" in internet issues! I don't know almost a thing about interner/forum matters. I'm a "rookie"!)

Regards...
aka Romilos

"
Most of us make all our own equipment, out here in australia where wages are rubbish as well.

Jason
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
So... how much a Lacedaimonian officer's "outfit" ("Corinthian" helmet with side-lon plume, "Bell-type" full-bronze cuirass, sword with scabbard & "telamonas", "Hoplon" shield, bronze graves, sandals, red cloak, spear) would cost?

Any idea???
aka Romilos

"
Way to much to buy, but if your willing to take your time learn the skills and make it yourself, about 500 Euros round about Aus $ 750.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
You kidding me, right? :o

I'm an illustrator, for pitty sake! Not... a blacksmith! Smile
aka Romilos

"
Hoplite Equipment was expensive in ancient times too!

Start as Psilos.
Chiton linen if you stich it yourself 25 Euros.
Same of a few wooden staves with iron or bronze tips (javelins)
Sandals 25 Euros
Think the money you waste on coffies and cigarettes!

As "Dirty Harry" said "Excuses are like...."!##@@@"

So get off your a.... and do something :!:
Quote:Hoplite Equipment was expensive in ancient times too!

Start as Psilos.
Chiton linen if you stich it yourself 25 Euros.
Same of a few wooden staves with iron or bronze tips (javelins)
Sandals 25 Euros
Think the money you waste on coffies and cigarettes!

As "Dirty Harry" said "Excuses are like...."!##@@@"

So get off your a.... and do something :!:

I'm taking these comments as a joke, dear Stefane. :lol:
(I'm a fanny guy, not easily taking bad - as an insult - comments for me... 8) )

BTW - I'm wasting my money in trips (I'm visiting TARAS, KROTON and the rest Hellenic cities of Sicily, this August), I'm drinking Guiness black beer and smoking my grandfather's hookah - water pipe, "nargileh"...

Regards.
aka Romilos

"
Hi, Lupus,

Sorry if Stefane and I are a bit hard on you! We're keen to mobilise as many philhellenes as possible for our Classicasl Greek army.

I'm trying to put together a shopping list for various Greek items to make a display ( if anyone can suggest sources, I'd be grateful*) and the military equipment looks like this:-

Aspis £450 (I've made three - this is a realistic price, based on the man-hours required)

Linothorax £400 (Again, price reflects work, but this is SO simple, you could do it yourself. Then all you need to find is the time!)

*Especially for sources of simple but good-quality pottery-ware.
Helmet £90 - £240. (With crest, starting-price around £120)

Sword £80

Spear £120 ( Cheaper if you buy the elements separately and put it together yourself. I see Kult of Athena offer an iron sauroter at only $19.99 - but beware of Import Duty!)

Sandals £40 (I don't care what anyone says - you will need sandals!)

Total £1,180.
Greetings fellow "paulaallen"...

Indeed, you were hard on me, but I can "buy" that... IF I KNEW the reason.

Because, from my part, I CAN'T see why you were hard on me...

Anyway... I'm 35 years old, I've lived MANY hard situations (for instance, my WHOLE squad in my military service, KILLED in a C-130 crash on Parnassos mountain...), so I don't really getting "touched" by a bit of sarcastic approaches...

I hope you'll be able to ACCEPT me, in time...

Regards...
aka Romilos

"