Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Diadochi
I 've read The Seleucid Army Organisation and Tactics in the Great Campaigns Bar-Kochva, B.

I'm trying to find out more about the armies and wars of the diadochi. Can someone give me some more titles of books in engish that shed some more light on this subject?
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Try the works of P. Connolly for starters.
Kind regards
Good question!

Nothing comprehensive springs to mind, but you could browse Waldemar Heckel's on-line bibliography for relevant articles.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
If you're interested in War in the Hellenistic period in general, try Chaniotis' War in the Hellenistic World. Very interesting book on war & society, very low on army & battle info (despite the title).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I start with The Legacy of Alexander: Politics, Warfare and Propaganda Under the Successors (Bosworth).

Thanks for the link, I will print it today.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:Nothing comprehensive springs to mind, but you could browse Waldemar Heckel's on-line bibliography for relevant articles.

I would think the some work by Minor M. Markle on Macedonian armor, shields and weapons might be a useful addition to the list.
Paul Klos

\'One day when I fly with my hands -
up down the sky,
like a bird\'