Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Late Roman Army" by Pat Southern
Since I'm looking for a good book to take with me on holiday to Croatia next month, I was wondering about buying "The Late Roman Army" by Pat Southern.
Good choice?

He also wrote another book on the roman empire from Septimius Severus till Constantine". Any reviews on that?

Thank you.

Grtz,

Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
Off-Topic, I know... :oops:

Nico, will you be able to take some interesting pics from Diocletian's palace at Split? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
hello Aitor,
I visited Diocletian's palace last year, but since I'm staying some time in Knin and since I'm going to visit Salona again, I maybe will also visit the palace again. I will surely take some pics then. I also have some pics of last year, but they were taken with a non-digital camera.

I'm also going to visit Sisak (ancient Siscia) and I'm going 1 day to Zagreb to buy that book on military finds of Siscia. I never heard anything from that museum, were I ordered that book. So, I while go myself and bring one.
But about that book, i will start a new topic in the "marketplace".
Maybe i can bring some extra books for the interested people.

Nico

Btw: do you have read "The Late Roman Army" by Pat Southern?
Nico Creces
Flandres
Thanks Nico! Big Grin
No, unfortunately, I haven't read the book Sad wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I found this book to be a good read, and better than some others on the same subject. I loaned it to a friend, or I would go back and scan through for more details. There are some good observations, and I remember some good photos. Sorry it is not here so I could tell you more.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:I'm also going to visit Sisak (ancient Siscia) and I'm going 1 day to Zagreb to buy that book on military finds of Siscia.

If you come across any plumbatae, could you please take pictures?
Or buy the museum guide if it's reasonably priced - I'll buy it from you!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert, I will surely do.
Btw, if you are interested in 'Militaria Sisciensa' books from Zagreb Museum, I could bring one or two for you. It looks like they costs about 30 euro orso. Or is this the catalogue that you mean?

Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
Quote:Robert, I will surely do.
Btw, if you are interested in 'Militaria Sisciensa' books from Zagreb Museum, I could bring one or two for you. It looks like they costs about 30 euro orso. Or is this the catalogue that you mean?

No, I have the scans I need from that one. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I have this book. It's already some time I have read it so I look at it this evening and give you my opinion tomorrow.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Thanks, Geert. Bedankt!

Would be great.

Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
No problem but did'nt had time yesterday so it has to be this evening. I was painting my kitchen in the evening.

But here's already some more info :

Long Description
This study examines how - and how effectively - the Roman army adapted itself to meet the growing threats to the later Empire's survival: attacks on the frontier, internal unrest, revolts, upsurpations and civil wars. Examining the development and the morale of the Roman army following the reforms of Dio and Constantine, the book focuses particularly on the creation of the field and frontier armies as well as exploring the role of the army in the post-Constantinian period. Individual chapters are devoted to recruitment, conditions of service, equipment, fortifications and siege warfare.

Table of Contents
List of Figures
List of Plates
Preface and Acknowledgements
List of Emperors
Outline of Significant Events
Ch. I Sources 1
Ch. II Crisis and Transition 4
Ch. III Barbarians and Bureaucrats: The Army from Constantine to Justinian 39
Ch. IV Recruitment 67
Ch. V Conditions of Service 76
Ch. VI Equipment 89
Ch. VII Fortifications 127
Ch. VIII Siege Warfare 148
Ch. IX The Morale of the Late Roman Army 168
Ch. X The End of the Army 179
Maps I-IV: The Empire from the Mid Second Century to the Fifth Century AD 181
Glossary 186
Bibliography 189
Index 200
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Thanks Geert.

And did the book fullfill your expectations or do you have some remarks?

Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
Quote:He also wrote another book on the roman empire from Septimius Severus till Constantine".

'He' is a she; Pat used to be department librarian in the Department of Archaeology at the University of Newcastle (and knew far more than many of the 'teaching' staff).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I just got this back from loan.
It is written by Southern and Dixon?
Excellent drawings, well written, lots of interesting points.
They also wrote a great book on Roman cavalry that is great.
I need to get her book on Augustus!
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Yep, that's the one. A very useful book to use as a follow-up when you've started with the Osprey volumes.

But read Hugh Elton's review in in Bryn Mawr Classical Review 97.2.16.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Late Roman Army, by Gabrielle Esposito, Art by Giuseppe - a Review Longovicium 19 12,843 07-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Giuseppe Rava
  Patricia Southern: The Roman Army mcbishop 8 4,697 05-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  late roman army Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 27 7,243 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs