Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
societys which supplied rome with archers
My knowlege on this topic is lacking at best. i think i've heard the hammians, the scythians, and the sarmatians supplied archers to the roman millitary machine. Were there other places which also suppled rome with their dedicated archers. also i have heard soldiers who displayed profeciency in archery were given additional training. What i am trying to ask here is where all did the archers come from and where can i learn the background/history of the societys that they came from.
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not sure of all of the places, but I've read that Crete was also a great place to find archers. I can't remember if that was from my Greek History course, or if it applied equally to Roman times, but I can't imagine that much could change. They also used composite bows which were very advanced...there is a good article about bows in I think the August 2004 issue of Military Heritage Magazine (I could be off a couple of months). Sorry I can't add more to the discussion, my knowledge about specifics is also lacking!

Best of luck!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
There's many more cohors too.. a couple here, but Spaul, (John). 2000. Cohors2 The evidence for and a short history of the auxiliary infantry units of the Roman Imperial Army. BAR international series is well worth a study.

COH I SAGITTARIORUM HEMESENORUM

COH I FLAVIA DAMASCENORUM MILIARIA EQUITATA SAGITTARIORUM

Regards,
Cretan archers were found in the Roman armies from the Hellenistic period.
Please check my article on them at the Encyclopediea section.
Kind regards
During a battle in Spain, Julius Caesar wrote that as he was trapped between to swollen rivers, and was cut off from his reinforcements, the cavalry from Gaul and the archers from the Ruteni.
Steve
Quote:Cretan archers were found in the Roman armies from the Hellenistic period.
Please check my article on them at the Encyclopediea section.
Kind regards
Stefanos, where is that Encyclopaedia section?
AKA Inaki
Rebuilt into the articles section. Stefanos article is in the Miscellaneous section (which means I couldn't organize them somewhere else): http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/content/category/8/46/75/
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
bump
Steve
Thanks Jasper.
Sorry for not posting the link imediettly.

This is it
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/content/view/64/113/

Kind regards
There's always the Syrian Auxiliary archers, and also the Nabataeans "donated" archers to the auxiliaries.
-thanks for reading.

Sean
thank you all for shareing your wisedom of things i know not. it will be of great help to me in designing my next kit. Smile
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Hi Stefanos,

very nice work. So I have to imagine the Cretan archer in Caesar's time with breast plate and Montefortino, may-be with mail cuirass - and their shield devices like this?

[Image: eepf-page-top-aigagros.jpg]

[url:loa61xwv]http://www.kzu.ch/fach/as/gallerie/myth/theseus/theseus_pages/theseus_07.htm[/url]

Were there such troops from Crete at Alesia? I would just like to repaint the drawing (from Ronald Embleton, I assume) in Your article in this way, but regrettably can't copy or save it.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Owe, the image is from my friend Nikos Panos for a book about Casar in Gaul. It represents a Cretan of the Elite 10th Legion. We assumed that this archer contignent was better equiped than the others.
Ceasar gives descrption of them fighting against the Ariovist´s Germans and in Alesia hand to hand.

The labyrinth would be used for a unit raised in Knossos and Festos and the wild mountain goat for a unit raised in Eleytherna or Lyktos.
Can you please give me the reference of the "goat medallion"?

I belive that your interpretation with a rectangular breast plate with leather straps in "Etruskan style" is more correct for the majority of the units.

Hope I helped
Khaire Stefanos,

after reading Your fine article I just googled around with the search words 'aigagros' or 'knossos labyrinth'. So I found among others this site:

[url:2n70rjju]http://www.eepf.gr/[/url]

It contains the picture of a coin (from 1951?) depicted with a chamois (aigagros ?) that I assumed to be the reproduction of an ancient motif. Regrettably I don't understand Greek language and can read the characters hardly only. :? But I could imagine this (ancient ?) motif very well as a shield design for a Cretan Auxiliary archer because it would fit well to the buckler.

Could the motifs have been painted on the shield or was it just embossed bronze? Is the shield that Your friend has painted more presumably than a small round shield with a boss?

BTW, I like the painting style of Your friend Nikos Panos, if I wouldn't know it, I would confuse it with a painting of Osprey's painter Ronald Embleton. Is there any chance to download the archer's picture?

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Danke shoen Uwe.
Its an organisation for the protection of nature in Greece.
They got the medalion from a meusum (More research for me but I´ll find it)

Yes the design fits to the buckler. I will try to see if I have the picture and sent it to you.
We were not sure what type of shield they used at Ceasor's time so we "evade" the subject.
In my opinion it could have been leather, wicker or even a thin metal sheet.
I would like to find more info on that.
Kind regards