Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Signa" with snake or dragon
Hi to everybody!

I'm Paolo, a student from Italy, and I'm preparing a research about the symbol of the snake (and of the dragon) during the centuries...

I've found a notice about the use of the snake (or draco) symbol by the german-roman legions conducted by Stilicone..

could someone help me to find texts and books or material about this notice?

has somebody heard something about the use of these symbols, and where can I find more notices?

thank you, and I beg your pardon for my english...

:oops:

Paolo
Hi Paolo and welcome!

Here is a very good web-site and here is also information about the late roman Draco-standards:

http://www.fectio.org.uk/articles/draco.htm

Hope this will help you!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thank you so much Virilis!!!

A very USEFUL article!

Paolo
2 snakes faceing together, black sun, black moon
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:A very complete article!

:oops: blush
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:2 snakes faceing together, black sun, black moon

[size=150:18gqbx0c]By Crom, where have you seen them![/size] Confusedhock:

Please, don't go astray off-topic! :wink:

Hai-tork the Barbarian
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:2 snakes faceing together, black sun, black moon

Anyone fancy a lizard on a stick? :twisted:

Chariovalda the semi-barbarian

[size=75:3ni51kf6](By Mithras, Aitor, you beat me to it! :wink: )[/size]
Andreas Baede
The snake has been ascociated with the Earth Goddess from the Neolithic age. The most notable examples are the Minoan and Mycenean seals.
In the Geometric Era the apearence of the Goddess "Potnia ton Theron" closely resembles them.
Later the snakes become the symbol of Hera as she evolves in from the original earth godess. So the 2 gold snakes appear in the Argive shields to honor the patron godess of Argos.
The snake have been adopted as the sympols of the clans that claim to be indigenous. Ancient Greeks called them "Spartoi". In Beotia they sported a red snake ready to "spring" on their shields. In Laconia they sported a black snake with one coil head facing up and tail facing down.
The Opoundian Locrians sported a brown snake with one coil and both head and tail looking upwards.
Those who had a wife from a "Spartoi" family sported the snake on their thorax shoulder guards.
The Romans possibly impressed by the horsemen of Pyrros and the Italiot Greeks who seem to have sporting these snakes adopted them as decortion on their soulders of the hamata as an Osprey reconstraction shows them.
Kind regards

PS Do not confuse "Spartoi" with Spartans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  George and the Dragon korshi 0 816 11-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Last Post: korshi