Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editors needed Helmet Database
Ave omnes,

RAT is always in move – returning after two weeks I find the helmet database already growing - excellent! Very good information and illustrations.

If you need an Auxiliary for the bothersome or boring jobs (proofreading, stupid typing… :wink: ) – just blow the cornu.
(My small library: „Römische Helme – Sammlung Axel Guttmann“ (Junckelmann), „Antike Helme“ (RGZM) and „Römische Helme aus Niedergermanien (Klumbach)) And I like to find out the actual whereabouts / display locations of some of the originals.

Two suggestions:

If there’s much information but no photo of a helmet available at the moment (due to copyrights), a Dummy might be easy at hand. No problem to draw the outlines or a silhouette.

A ‘wanted’ list could be created featuring ‘missing’ helmets and their last known locations of exhibition (with a database-link to helmet and museum – and to ‘Roman World’?). So RAT members or visitors can take a look if there’s an exhibition, a museum or collection ‘in their neighbourhood’ to try to take some photographs. Or check the wanted list while planning the next holiday trip.
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Quote:A ‘wanted’ list could be created featuring ‘missing’ helmets and their last known locations of exhibition (with a database-link to helmet and museum – and to ‘Roman World’?).

That's not a bad idea. Want to start it off?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Quote:A ‘wanted’ list could be created featuring ‘missing’ helmets and their last known locations of exhibition (with a database-link to helmet and museum – and to ‘Roman World’?).

That's not a bad idea. Want to start it off?

Ave Jasper,

I'll try to look after the ‘wanted list’. What do you think about this idea:

[b]A “wanted listâ€

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Ave omnes,

any comments about my suggestion above?

I tried to start a dummy list of known Roman helmets or helmet-fragments. So I used Klumbach’s book first, only attempting to list the basic information to identify the special items and find a web link to their last known whereabouts.

Almost immediately it’s obvious, lots of museums and collections changed – by name or location. For example the Landesmuseum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte, Münster (D) or the Gemeentelijk Museum, Roermond (NL), mentioned by Klumbach, now seem to be gone or renamed.

Here’s my ‘known helmets dummy list’ (still based on Klumbach without the Robinson classification):

Latene type

1. Flüren (D). Material: bronze. Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn (D), Inv. 59,9222, Klumbach pp 17, T1

2. Trier-Olewig (D). Material: bronze. Original in private collection (Trier, D). Reconstruction: Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier (D), Inv. 69,113. Klumbach pp 18, T2

Montefortino type

1. Düsseldorf (D). Material: bronze. Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn (D), Inv. 39,73. Klumbach pp 19, T 3

2. Olfen, near Haltern (D). Material: bronze. Landesmuseum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte, Münster (D), Inv. C 395, Now in Westfälisches Römermuseum Haltern (D) or in Westfälisches Museum für Archäologie, Herne (D) ???, Klumbach pp 19/20, T 4.

3. Wardt-Lüttingen, near Xanten (D). Material: bronze. Niederrheinisches Museum Duisburg (D), Inv. 71 : 31, Klumbach pp 20, T5

4. Buggenum (NL). Material: bronze. Gemeentelijk Museum, Roermond (NL) Now called Stedelijk Museum Roermond ??? , loan from private property, Klumbach pp 21, T 6

5. Pannerden (NL). Material: bronze, partially tinned. Rijksmuseum G.M. Kam, Nijmegen (NL), Inv. B. E. XIV. 8 b, Klumbach pp 21/22, T 7

6. Millingen (NL). Material: bronze, partially tinned. Rijksmuseum G.M. Kam, Nijmegen (NL), Inv. XXI, l, 3, Klumbach pp 22, T8

Cheek guards

1. Venlo (NL). Material: iron and bronze decoration, Rijksmuseum G.M. Kam, Nijmegen (NL), Inv. 11.8.21, Klumbach pp 55, T 41

2. Xanten (D), Material: bronze. Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn (D), Inv. 260011 h, Klumbach pp 56, T 42

3. Nijmegen. Material: bronze. Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, Leiden (NL), Inv. N.S. 104, Klumbach pp 56, T 42

Finding locations:
NL = The Netherlands
D = Germany

Sources / published:
Klumbach, Hans: Römische Helme aus Niedergermanien. Köln 1974. ISBN 3-7927-0195-2

museum/collection

1. Landesmuseum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte, Münster (D) ???
2. Westfälisches Museum für Archäologie, Herne (D): http://www.lwl.org/LWL/Kultur/WMfA_Herne/
3. Westfälisches Römermuseum Haltern (D): http://www.lwl.org/LWL/Kultur/WMfA_Haltern/
4. Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn (D): http://www.rlmb.lvr.de
5. Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier (D): http://www.landesmuseum-trier.de
6. Stedelijk Museum Roermond: http://www.roermond.nl/index8264.htm
7. Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, Leiden (NL): http://www.rmo.nl/new/home.html

***************************************(end of dummy)

All data could be collected in a ‚sticky’ topic. The first (editable) posting could content the actual list, and any following post/discussion on that topic could add new information to update the list and the RA helmet database.

What do you think?

Good idea Heiko!
If you start a new list, I'll make it sticky for ya.
BTW, Museum Kam is now Museum het Valkhof, Nijmegen.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ave Jasper,

thanks for the Museum Kam link Big Grin

I'll complete my Dummy with the 50 helmets featured in Klumbach's book and then start the new list.

Afterwards, I'll try to add the Goodman Collection and 'Antike Helme". Until now, I have no sample of Robinson's work. But I hope, I'll get one via our local library network next month...

Okiedokie!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ave Jasper,

thanks for making the list sticky! I’ll have a look on the discussion and will try to update it as soon as possible. Fortunately administrators and moderators are able to edit the first posting, too. So it won’t depend on one person.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet Database Cornelius Quintus 56 66,160 07-26-2021, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Militarus