Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander\'s Cavalry/Phalanx relations
Just wondering about the relationship to Alexander and his infantry formations. I know that Alexander was the head of his elite Companion Cavalry, the best of Macedonia, but I was wondering how his infantry units regarded this? Was there any hard feelings toward him for choosing to lead the cavalry on horseback instead of the infantry on foot? Or, were they just glad to have a general leading them from the front and sharing in the same hardships? I'm not sure if that was a position reserved for the king and if Phillip also took the same position. I figure that since he had such an efficient and amazing army that it wasn't really an issue, however, I'd be curious if any information was discovered shedding light on such a relationship.

Thanks!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Alexander's main strike force was his cavalry, not the phalanx. The phalanx was simply the pivot, much like an anvil, while Alex and his cavalry being the "hammer". It would make sense for Alexander to be with the decisive arm of his army to assure victory. Get the book by JFC Fuller, "The Generalship of Alexander the Great". The chapter on tactics and his comparison of Alex's army to a boxer is great(the phalanx is the body while the cavalry are the fists, etc...). I think this is the best book on Alexander in bookstores today.
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
I agree with Johnny.
Tray also note that when need be like sieges in Tyros and India, Alex was fighting on the forefront among his footmen.
Also he always made sure to visit the hospitals after the battle and talk with comon troops. He had good memory and it is rumored that Napoleon copied from him thae same tricks of remembering mames and deeds of individuals.
Kind regards
As I recall, at Chaeronea Philip was with the phalanx in the center of the line, while Alexander was placed in command of the cavalry on the left flank; so in that case the king was not commanding the cavalry, although their role was crucial in the battle.

Alexander also had a corps of "foot companions", if I recall correctly; so the honors were shared among the infantry and cavalry. I am not sure if these were the hypapsists or part of the phalanx, off hand (my references are at home).
Felix Wang
Thanks for all of the information. I know, at least in recent wars, there is always a bit of "friction" between infantry and cavalry formations, so it is nice to know that Alexander chose to be with the strongest part of his army and that honors were shared with the infantry. I appreciate all the posts!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Correction: At Chaeronea, Philip was actually with the hypaspsists on the right flank, not the center. (per Warry)
Felix Wang

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  arbitrage and mediation in interstate relations eugene 2 1,241 12-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Kineas
  Alexander\'s Companion Cavalry (Hetairoi) Mythos_Ruler 29 7,483 09-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr