Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limes Museum scutum
I love this scutum. [Image: AF31k.jpg]

A rarely large photo here:
[url:1exdww0v]http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/limes-museum/sqhm/alf/ogz/AF31.jpg[/url]

From [url:1exdww0v]http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/limes-museum/sqhm/alf/texte/1104limes.html[/url]

Does anyone have more information about it? Am I correct it is a reconstruction, or at the least modern? From what I can tell it's wooden, leather covered, with metal decoration (and what awesome decoration it is!).

That there be a scutum I'd be mighty proud to carry. Big Grin I'd also be proud to wear the caligae below it on the above webpage, and you can really see how the damage was done to civilian faces (that doesn't particularly enthrall me though).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That is a great looking shield! Would the metal "lightning bolts" be applied so loosely?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
The hobnails look good - very much like the Roman ones!
Florian Himmler (not related!)
I talked to the director of the museum about it a couple of years ago, and according to him, IIRC, the shield was made in the early 1900's.
Quote:IIRC, the shield was made in the early 1900's.
Martin, do you recall anything else he may have said about it?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
No, unfortunately not, but I will be there in September at the latest, so if you are not in a hurry I can ask again then
Just checked the Limesmuseum (guide) book by Philzinger - it only says that the shield is a modern reconstruction, so no original pieces on it, and most probably modelled after some trajan's column scene. I remember that it is rather small, around 80-90 cm high or so ...
Thanks for that Martin.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limeseum, a new Limes museum, opened Eleatic Guest 1 1,235 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Praise for the Limes Museum Aalen Jona Lendering 2 1,303 07-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus