Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome HBO series, last post look at these two pictures
i cluadius is a masterpiece in my mind, i loove itso anyway besides the

uve all answeered alot of my question, and i appreciate that, and i ahve read allt he replies, but it hasnt really answered the below questions

just answer these and ill give up

besides makeup, could a real roman look like the calvary man on the right?
do they put some kind artificial stuff on the armor?

what about civilians? do they put makeup on the hundreds of extras in the city of rome>/??
The mail looks darker than I've seen in real life, so it seems possible that they've touched it up with paint or whatever to give it a 'weathered' look. They did the same with the armour in Gladiator, though that of course was plate rather than mail - and appallingly innaccurate to boot. Of course, since no re-enactor's equipment goes through the rigours of months or years of campaigning, we can never be sure of how it would look.

So, to answer your question, the equipment is not accurate, but in a broader sense, it could plausibly convey an impression of a Roman soldier after a hard campaign. Of course, to be pedantic they are not cavalrymen but infantrymen on horseback.

As for the great mass of extras, yes they probably do have make-up, but more basic - mostly to take the shine off the face that studio lights create, and perhaps add a bit of 'dirt'.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
Woadwarrior, can I ask if you have actually seen HBO's Rome :?: Is there a particular reason why you need to know if the cavalryman on the right is correct or not? Maybe a project?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
thanx for the reply carus
if they touched it up with paint, to look weathered
could it look like that natuarally?

reenactors get all the equipment right but film, trys to make it look like the actors have been roman all there life
so could real people look like that naturally/?
Here's what I call a fine recreation of a Republican legionary:

[url:y8wn1q0k]http://www.roman-empire.net/army/legionary-early.html[/url]

Compare to Vorenus and Pullo from HBO's Rome. Trust us, there are differences.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
as well as the above post above tarbicus

but of course there are differences, but why, and what are they?
i was writing an essay about history v. hollywood, i focused on the rome, series, and believe me i used alot of the info in the 40 replies i got.
but now its is kind of personal, i dont see why the guys on the picture coudnt be a glimpse from the past, (except for makeup) i mean the armor is correct. ???? so?
Several people on this thread have pointed out several times what's wrong with the movie costume, including the armor. If you don't want to hear that anything is wrong with it, then please don't ask. Sorry, I just don't get what you're trying to do here.
Aka
Christoph
dude did you or did you not read the posts.

Quote: i mean the armor is correct. ???? so?
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:if they touched it up with paint, to look weathered
could it look like that natuarally?
NO!!!!!!!!

Quote: besides makeup, could a real roman look like the calvary man on the right?
As is, NO!!!!!!

Quote:do they put some kind artificial stuff on the armor?
?????? bet you 100 bucks its painted pvc pipe mail like they used in lord of the rings

Quote:what about civilians? do they put makeup on the hundreds of extras in the city of rome>/??
yes they all get makeup.

we're not going to write your essay for you. pick up a book and read/research for yourself. or just read and use the info you find on the net.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
And that concludes this discussion. *LOCK*
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accuracy of HBO Series: Rome (would like opinions before buy Historylover 89 39,384 10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Rome HBO series Woadwarrior 19 5,108 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus