Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Database
That original database is still very much available and now has approaching 800 separate entries. A few people have continued to send me information, which I have added as time is available for me to do so. If there is ever another attempt to get the on-line database up and running, then I would be quite prepared to take up the reigns again - even better if we could work as a group to check on one another's entries as errors are bound to creep in (Erkhart has pointed out above that there was one of the entries from Vindonissa-Windisch).

All it needs is for "someone" (Jasper?) to come up with a place where the information can be uploaded, together with the graphics files, and we are away! It doesn't really matter how much data there is, because it doesn't all have to uploaded at once. If several people were prepared to work together, this could be done all the quicker.

Mike Thomas (Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
I wrote Jasper twice that I have a student who would fill in theiInfo in a new page. I just need the Data to give to him. Would work again next semester. No reply, though, the last time.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I would love to help, if someone organized the work.
Eduardo Vázquez
I'm not around as much as i used to be, I hadn't realised it wasn't available anymore.

It would be great to get this back online, there are various places this could end up (pintrest even) to achieve that. I have the technical background (used to be a web-programmer) if there is a desire for a more tecky solution.

Mike if you want to give me an idea of the format the database is currently in i can see what's going to be simplest.
II also miss the helmet database. Is this book any good in the meantime?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Helmets-John-Travis/dp/1445638428
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
It's not bad at all; a companion work to this couple's book on Roman Body Armour, also published by the same people. It will se you back £25.00. The only real problem is that it's incomplete. They list around 300 helmets, which is way below the 800 or so that I know of, and considerably fewer than appear in Hans' listings (where he also includes fragments of helmets). On p.18 they state that the book contains: "a full gazetteer of all known Roman helmets" (my italics). Well, it doesn't. They list around 90 Montefortino helmets, for example, whereas I know of over 300.

They do address the thorny question of typology and nomenclature, discussing Robinson's and the so-called 'Continental' system at some length. To that end, they have included a set of tables that list the various characteristics of the different types (which Robinson in his 1975 work doesn't exactly - you have to dig into the text to find them). It would have been nice for them to have included some attempt to come up with a better way of describing these helmets. Maybe that's impossible, but it would have been worth a try. In particular, it would have been worth looking at the (contemporaneous) Montefortino D/E and Coolus D/E types to try and see if there is really any real difference between them.

Their book covers all the various types, from the Montefortino to the late Roman patterns (Berkasovo, Intercisa, etc). It also takes a short look at the helmet types that preceded the Montefortino type.

It' is, I think, a useful volume to have on your shelf.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
GIven that the helmet database is down, is there a way to get an extract from it? A table or CSV file of the contents? I would particularly like to map a helmet to the museum displaying it.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
In it's present form, the helmet 'database' isn't really a 'database' (in the commonly accepted sense of the word) at all - at least on my computer. It's a series of HTML "pages" with internal links. There are also three indices, (a) under helmet types, (b) under find sites and © under current whereabouts, museums, private collections, etc. All three of these are linked to a master index page. The total number of helmets of all types listed is just under 800. The whole thing includes well over 2,000 illustrations as well, which can be viewed both as thumbnails and larger pictures.

If there is a demand for it, I can easily make it available on a CD-ROM but obviously for this I will need snail-mail addresses. I can be contacted on [email protected]. Don't all rush at once! :-)
(05-05-2015, 10:57 PM)Caratacus Wrote: In it's present form, the helmet 'database' isn't really a 'database' (in the commonly accepted sense of the word) at all - at least on my computer. It's a series of HTML "pages" with internal links. There are also three indices, (a) under helmet types, (b) under find sites and © under current whereabouts, museums, private collections, etc. All three of these are linked to a master index page. The total number of helmets of all types listed is just under 800. The whole thing includes well over 2,000 illustrations as well, which can be viewed both as thumbnails and larger pictures.

If there is a demand for it, I can easily make it available on a CD-ROM but obviously for this I will need snail-mail addresses. I can be contacted on [email protected]. Don't all rush at once! :-)
Hi

Im fortunate to be a collector of Roman Helmets and have currently 5 originals so to speak, most acquired from auction houses from the Axel Guttmann collection.  If available Id love to get the CD - ROM, I can provide my address when its available.
Hello all! I was directed to this forum for a question I had posed on helmet dome thickness for Imperial Gallic helms. I am unable to find the helmet data base that was recommended. After reading though this topic, it sounds as if the database is now defunct but possibly available on a CD. Is this correct and if so, who do I as for one from? Thank you!
It is defunct, but we do have records to revive it when time and energy combine. I'm afraid there's no CD available (unless Mike creates it for you), though it wouldn't help you with dome thickness as that was not in the db.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
(07-26-2021, 08:39 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: It is defunct, but we do have records to revive it when time and energy combine. I'm afraid there's no CD available (unless Mike creates it for you), though it wouldn't help you with dome thickness as that was not in the db.

Do you have any idea where I might find that information? I've seen many helmet reconstructions and recreations and I've made a few myself but I've always just gone with the status quo without really thinking about the actual data. I'd really like to know. Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Editors needed Helmet Database Praefectusclassis 22 17,182 06-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Cornelius Quintus