Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fayum Portraits book
The new Oxbow book catalog says they have a few copies left of the E. Doxiades book on the Myseterious Fayum Portraits.

If you have not seen this book it is a must have! Not only that it is reduced in price!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham, I have Ancient Faces by Walker and Bierbrier. How do you compare them, if you've seen it?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jim

Yes I have both. The Doxiades version is a larger format so therefore many of the pictures are probably in many cases near to actual size. It certainly has more of a wow factor about it! There are also a few soldiers in there too!

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I have also the "Mysterious Fayum Portraits" by Doxiadis. It is a beautiful book. Some portraits are almost life-like, some are quite naive and painted with more primitive skills.

Every now and then I pick up the book, take a glass of red wine and stare at those mesmering pictures from a distance. You can find almost every expression of human feelings in those faces (of course a lively imagination and red wine helps :wink: !)

Anyway, stunning portraits!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Every one a Mona Lisa.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim

Some of them even have Greek messages written on them, hidden codes perhaps? :wink:

I would recommend the book at full price so at the price offered it is a real bargain.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, I just ordered it. The one I have, I can just leaf through for ages, so I'm looking forward to getting this one.

The protraits are just amazing. I think it's because the subjects are so individual, and are staring directly at you, as if to say, "Go on, ask me a question."

Ta.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
You`re absolutely right, Tarbicus!

The stare of those portraits are on the border of being uncomfortably eerie, they have almost an accusing quality on them somehow.... Anyway, quite sad in a pleasing way, whatever that means :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]