Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrian\'s Formation Against the Alans
Arrian's battle against the invading Alanic tribesman in Cappadoccia...anyone have time frame for his battles, and does anyone know the size of the Alanic force that he faced? I'm working on schematics of the battle, formations, placement, etc...just needed to fill in a few gaps in the information. Any information or references to primary sources would be great.

Thanks!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
As far as I know there is only one primary source, namely Cassius Dio (LXIX, 15, 1-2): http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... 9*.html#15
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
How about Arrian's Array against the Alans. Thanks to Sander van Dorst.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
As Ildar says, the Dio scrap is the only other literary evidence.
Paul Holder's BAR on the Auxiliary units of the Roman army draws on Arrian for the Cappadocia lists and will also include refs to other evidence for the units stationed in Cappadocia & the surrounding provinces at that time. And reluctant though I am to blow my own trumpet, there's a bit in Roman Art of War about the manoeuvres from line of march to line of battle.

Kate
Quote: And reluctant though I am to blow my own trumpet,

There's gotta be a joke about corona muralias and blowing trumpets, right? Big Grin
** Vincula/Lucy **
Thanks for the references Kate. I just ordered your book through Amazon and it should arrive in the next few days. Right now I'm halfway through Goldsworthy's Roman Army at War, and I just finished Caesar's Gallic Wars. It was very informative, and I can't wait to begin Roman Art of War.

I know the battle took place somewhere in Cappodocia, does anybody know of the exact battle site, such as how far away it is from modern cities, etc? I was going to try to get some aerial imagery to analyze the terrain (though I'm sure it has changed over time) just for fun. If I am feeling bold, I was even thinking of illustrating the battle in 3-D. Also, is the size of the Alanic force known, and how did it compare to Arrian's total force?

Thanks!

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
No battle, Trey - Arrian is supposed to have 'frightened' the Alans off. Which probably gives you better opportunity to have fun with computer graphics as you don't need to worry so much about the reality of terrain rather than Arrian's ideal topographical circumstances.
Don't recall anything specific about size of Alans (I know several and none are that large or intimidating :wink: ); seriously - try Bachrach History of the Alans in the West (Minnesota, 1973).

And vincula - you're right, I shall change my name to Joshua!

Kate
Kate, thanks for clearing that up. I kept wondering why everything I read mentioned the formation, but no battle! That makes sense now that I think about everything I have read. I'll definitely check out Bachrach's book and look at the way his forces were deployed in combination with the terrain of the area. I just found his entire formation to be absolutely amazing when considering the heavy cavalry he was facing; I can definitely see why the Alans tucked tail and ran.

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Quote:As Ildar says, the Dio scrap is the only other literary evidence.
Paul Holder's BAR on the Auxiliary units of the Roman army draws on Arrian for the Cappadocia lists and will also include refs to other evidence for the units stationed in Cappadocia & the surrounding provinces at that time. And reluctant though I am to blow my own trumpet, there's a bit in Roman Art of War about the manoeuvres from line of march to line of battle.

Kate

Good thing you did blow your horn, because of it I just ordered your book and looking forward to it.

Anyway, I'll just add that Arrian's Array shows just how complex or as we'd say today, how much of a 'combined-arms' approach the Romans could take. Much more sophisticated than the popular view of the infantry only formations of popular history. I'd hazard a guess that the large number of missile troops and they're tactical deployment may also reflect the Roman encounters with Parthia that occured up to that time period.
Frank

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  arrian and the alans Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 4 1,534 09-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Quintus Aurelius Lepidus