Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sinew have you seen????
Would anybody happen to know where I could find a large enough quantity of sinew to make a 1:1 scale ballista? Of course, the relevant following question is: I am insane for wanting to go to that length? :?:
MONE ME SI ERRO.

Jamie
It really depends on what you want. I know where you can buy artificial sinew, but when my friends made a small scale Ballista we used actual sinew and made it usuable from an animal.

http://www.nextag.com/artificial-sinew/search-html You can buy artificial there.

http://www.sparrowcreek.com/Sinew.htm That will show you how to make it and aquire real sinew.
[size=150:1io1x0l3]"Hail Caesar! We who are about to die Salute you!"[/size]

[size=100:1io1x0l3]- Gladiatorial Salute[/size]

[size=75:1io1x0l3]Dustin[/size]
The problem with sinew is not so much how to obtain it but how to make enough lentgth of thick rope from it... :?
Jamie, wht do you mean with the word 'ballista'? Arrow shooter, stone shooter, wooden fram, metallic frame, euthytone, palintone...? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
You make a good point, the thing was a pain in the neck, even for a smaller scale ballista. And as I stated before, it really depends on what you are going for.
[size=150:1io1x0l3]"Hail Caesar! We who are about to die Salute you!"[/size]

[size=100:1io1x0l3]- Gladiatorial Salute[/size]

[size=75:1io1x0l3]Dustin[/size]
The biggest issue with the idea Jamie is that as much sinew as you'd need for even a Scorpio would be VERY expensive. I tried to work it out once and came up with a cost of nearly $1000 and I'm not even sure I had allowed for enough sinew rope. And of course supply could be a problem is that you'd need many, many hundreds of pieces...

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sinew source Warhammer1 0 949 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Warhammer1
  Preparing sinew? Robert 9 2,787 08-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius