Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AUGUSTUS with peter o toole
if u have seen this what do u think of it? [amazon]B0006D3HDI[/amazon]
i think that it is historically in accurate (especially with the storyline)
but what do think of the costumes and sets?
DO U THINK THEY LOOK UNREALISTIC/?
reviews please
Quote:DO U THINK THEY LOOK UNREALISTIC/?

YES
Martin
really u do, good
why?
Non historical leather armors (like leather segmentata), strange helmets similiar rather to later period, ugly shields...etc.

Whole Imperium serie employ same ugly costumes, dissregarding historical reality.
Martin
pics?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
http://www.romanhideout.com/images/roma ... perium.asp

Here you may find answers to your questions.

Other movies like Gladiator etc. are on this site, too.
Martin
what about the city?
the city life, dont u think it looks kind of cheesy
and octavius is a noble and of high class how come he isnt living in a palace, like in rome (hbo)\\?

is the hbo series more realistic?
the sets just look too white
and the romans dont look convincable
so what do think
I'll have to go and find the film, and then buy it and then watch it, to give you an accurate opinion.

However, this might be interesting, for an artist's idea about ancent Rome.
[url:33l1oysd]http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/SPQR/GamePage[/url]
This is the infamous SPQR Mystery game, set in Rome, it is supposed to let you tour the streets and some buildings of Rome.

I have no idea if it works that well. My connection is too slow. I also had a game where you were set in Pompeii, trying to solve a mystery, before the volcano explodes. That had some colorful artwork of Roman buildings, exteriors and interiors. You might look for books about archaeology in this period. The 'palaces' of the emperors are something that came later in time, Julius Caesar lived in a temple, when he was a priest, and many senators had large private homes, similar to the villas being explored in Pompeii. Look on line for the Getty Museum Villa of the papyrii to get an idea about the buildings.
:lol: www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/langdongetty/getty.html

Remember movies are all about big visual images, not about realism. They rarely show the filth and dirt that would be a part of every day life in a big city. Remember you always washed your feet after walking about, and you had to keep your toga hiked up out of the muck.

When Augustus was ending his life he said he left Rome a city of marble, but it wasn't always like that, and decades later they were still trying to improve the city, either with building projects or setting fires. I doubt any movie can really show the "real ancient Rome", and even if it did, just be thankful you can't smell it! Think modern third world urban areas, for the smell and dirt of the ancient overcrowded capitol of the Roman world. There was a reason they had so many baths!
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
bump

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Augustus" starring Peter O\'Toole Theodosius the Great 26 6,920 03-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Ebusitanus