Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spolas? "Subarmalis"?
Quote:The armour isn't susceptible to thrusting attacks from any angle unless there is a gap - such as the armpit.
But would be better at deflecting and carrying a blow away, especially a spear thrust.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Good at deflecting upward-angled attacks. Attacks from above, angled downward, might catch in the overlap. But there is nowhere for them to go that may injure the wearer.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Just found this illustration by the Brygos painter of Athenian ephebes dressed in Thessalian gear - dated to 480 BC. What do you make of the chest covering Spolas? Subarmalis?Thoracomachus? mmm
Peter Raftos
Let's try that again...
Peter Raftos
Peter.
I find myself inclined to say spolas here.
But the lad depicted here wears many "outlandish" items.
His headgear is Thracian. His cloack is also a Thacian "zeira".
It is a possibility that his armor is also of Thracian origin.
The artist name also describes him as a Thracian.
Vrygoi were the guys who ambushed Mardonios during the Persian Wars.
Kind regards
Quote:The artist name also describes him as a Thracian.
Vrygoi were the guys who ambushed Mardonios during the Persian Wars.

just for clarification, "Brygos Painter" is a modern name applied to the painter. We know that he painted vases made by a potter named Brygos, but we're not sure if they're the same person.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Is this not a simple fleece vest/coat..? A sheepskin vest would give you some protection and keep you warm...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
We have discussed elsewhere whether these pictures represent a sheepskin vest on top of a chiton or simply a very ruffled chiton. Some of the images were very ambiguous, but the one posted by Peter, above, seems indisputable - it's a sheepskin waistcoat.
See thes two very heavily armed peltasts:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoplite14 ... pg&.src=ph
What do you think? (Well, except the fact that tavli (backgamon) is ancient!).

Kind regards
Hi Guys, Sorry but there has to be one person that disagrees, I think that they are just ruffled chitons. The type of depiction is also seen on dresses. IMO i think the top one may be a painters error.

Just my two cents/obols worth

Jason
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,766 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite