Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 5th c. helmets found?
Look at this link on a french forum: http://111935.aceboard.fr/111935-543-51 ... asques.htm

Looks like someone has found a new romano/sassanid helmet with a nose quard and some other items. Anyone familiar with these helmets? I think the simpler (byzantine?) helmets were briefly covered in "The Romano-Byzantine Infantry Equipment" by I. P. Stephenson. I might be misinterpereting things due to my bad "french" :wink: .....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Look at this link on a french forum: http://111935.aceboard.fr/111935-543-51 ... asques.htm
Looks like someone has found a new romano/sassanid helmet with a nose quard and some other items. Anyone familiar with these helmets? I think the simpler (byzantine?) helmets were briefly covered in "The Romano-Byzantine Infantry Equipment" by I. P. Stephenson. I might be misinterpereting things due to my bad "french" :wink: .....

I'm not sure about the Sassanid helmet, but the Intercisa 'parts' are the helmet we all know as the 'Guttmann-Intercisa IV'. The Kerak helmets are indeed copied from Stephenson's book. They are of unsure dating, I don't wholly agree with Stephenson on an early Byzantine dating.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Virilis:2suuutyf Wrote:I think the simpler (byzantine?) helmets were briefly covered in "The Romano-Byzantine Infantry Equipment" by I. P. Stephenson.
I'm not sure about the Sassanid helmet, but the Intercisa 'parts' are the helmet we all know as the 'Guttmann-Intercisa IV'. The Kerak helmets are indeed copied from Stephenson's book. They are of unsure dating, I don't wholly agree with Stephenson on an early Byzantine dating.

Robert,

A question for you, do you think Stephenson's book is worth picking up? Would it be a useful addition to a library?

Thanks,

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
PM sent.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert

can Ii have a PM too please ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I have seen a colour picture of the first helmet in that picture in "The Arts of War: Arms and Armour of the 7th to 19th centuries (The Nasser D. Khalili Collection of Islamic Art, VOL XXI)". It is identified there as 7th-8th century and though to be late Sassanid or early Islamic.

I'm sure I have a picture of it somewhere.

Found it, click on the thumbnail please:
[Image: th_Iranian_helmet_7th-8th_C_1.01.jpg]
Regards,

Hisham

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  some kinds of helmets found in Italy Servio Caro (Javier Sánc 3 1,457 06-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale