Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman arrows: fletching
You`re absolutely right, Alan!

Late July I started to feel aching in my right shoulder blade radiating to my chest. I noticed that perhaps I had been shooting too much with my 50 pounder. I recall that I spent the whole July in our summer house and I shot almost every day 5-6 hours!

I am serious. I started usually in the morning 10.00 and shot couple of hours until midday. Then I shot again from 14 to 16.00. And again a couple of hours in the evening before the sauna!

My fingers were bleeding, of course, and I estimate that I shot about 400 arrows per day! I also made the draw from the eye level straight with my right side upper back muscles, not helping with drawing while rising the bow up. I also kept the anchor for several seconds every time. In all, very stressing to the muscles and joints! I also shot too many arrows in a row, whole twelve of them...

It was a month before the inflammation went away from my shoulder blade muscles. It was a good lesson because physically I did not even tire when shooting, but the body seems to have it`s limits, unfortunately...

Lesson: The pain is fortunately complete away now. Now I shoot only 4 arrows in a row tops and one hour is enough per day. Fortunately I become to my senses before that "assyrian". How stupid a man can be :wink: ... Now my motto is: quality before quantity!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Here are some images of various draw/lock/loose methods

[/img]

The photograph of the Mandal or Turkish Lock shows clearly how the fletches fit between the fingers and thumb using the 120 degree fletch orientation (Klopsteg P. E., Turkish Archery, 1934), as does the diagram of the Basic Thumb Lock (Paterson W.F. and Latham J.D., Saracen Archery, 1971). You will notice that, as in all things archery, the exact method is slightly different in each case - get three archers together and you'll see at least four different ways of doing anything you like to name!

The diagrams of the various Pinch Locks (Webb, A, The Archaeology of Archery, 1991) show an arrow with a comparatively large fletch to nock distance, but I think it is clear that it is not necessary.

Incidentally, while looking through my various books and articles for good illustrations, I have noticed that many mediaeval illustrations of archers may not be, as I and most other people thought, poor representations of a two or three finger Mediterranean release, but reasonably accurate depictions of a pinch lock, especially the so-called Tertiary. I'll follow that up elsewhere.
[size=150:16cns1xq]Quadratus[/size]

Alan Walker

Pudor est nescire sagittas
Statius, Thebaid
Those pics are quite clear....
Btw, what's a thumb lock? How does it work?
Francisco Machado aka M.ilionario

Atheist

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war" - Napoleon Bonaparte
The 'lock' is not an object, it is simply the way the fingers or thumb are placed on the string to hold it firmly.
[size=150:16cns1xq]Quadratus[/size]

Alan Walker

Pudor est nescire sagittas
Statius, Thebaid
Thanks, Alan!

Very informative drawings. I have one picture which shows this "hybrid" style of holding the arrow...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polybius, horse archers arrows, roman armour, oh my. Aulus Perrinius 84 18,047 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Last Post: marka
  Republican Roman Bow and Arrows. Poftim 4 2,141 11-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Iulus