Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Legionary Fortresses 27 BC - AD 378
[amazon]Roman Legionary Fortresses 27 BC - AD 378[/amazon], by Duncan B Campbell, Illustrated by Brian Delf is recently published by the folks at 'Osprey' as a part of their "Fortress" series. ISBN 1-84176-895-2.

This is a good starter for people wanting to know about the Roman fortresses of the legions. Not only are there many different locations, with some nice photos, but there is a wealth of information about different positions, time periods, and legion deployments contained in this work. I enjoy the idea that it is not Anglo-centric, and covers Roman Fortresses from Scotland to Egypt, with a good deal of mention being given to the forces and forts in the Danube region.

I didn't see anything outstandingly controversial, or even 'jump in your face' new, but the work brings together a lot of different material from various sources in a concise and well written primer on Roman Fortresses. Unlike many of the modern speculative works so popular in recent publications, we have facts and a brief bibliography, and actual references are given in the body of the work.

Even though this is published by 'Osprey' it weighs in as a must add to my collection, and is informative and enjoyable to the serious student of the topic, as well as the dilettante.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Thank you for the info.
I added it to my wish list :wink:

Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
I have this title for a few days and I'm delighted with it. I can strong recommend this book to everybody. Comparing with other Osprey's Fortress series this one has also color photos.

I personaly like maps and beautiful illustrations. Simply another great Duncan Cambell's title!

I can recommend this book together with Osprey's title Rome’s Northern Frontier AD 70–235 as a supplement to Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire by Edward N. Luttwak.
Martin
this is the one i've missed. thanks for the review
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handbook to Roman Legionary Fortresses mcbishop 4 1,375 06-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Roman Fortresses unavailable? richsc 2 1,239 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Future Osprey title - Roman Legionary Fortresses 27 BC–AD Tarbicus 1 940 03-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Titus Martius