Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historic ships and shipyards
Hi all!
For everyone interested in the naval history there is an excelent web - 17th century shipyard, volunteer workers welcome. :lol:
Martin
Oh, I've been there. Great big fun!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Don't forget clicking on the link to the Dutch site ('nederlands' on the top red banner), it has many more images than the English site...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
You guys from Netherland are really active! I admire it. I have found another replica under construction 56 gun ship of the line De Delft. Fantastic!
Martin
Oh yes! I still have to go see that one. Even better since my great (*X) grandfather commanded one of her sisterships.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Oh yes! I still have to go see that one. Even better since my great (*X) grandfather commanded one of her sisterships.

Wow Confusedhock: ! What was the ship's name?
Martin
It was De Brakel, also of the Meuse Admiralty, iirc of 74 guns.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Interesting! I'm going to look into the William James' Naval history if there is any mention Smile .

By the way, it is amazing that the number of replicas and reconstructed vessels is growing. Here are links to some great websites:

Replicas:
French frigate L'Hermione (1778)
HM Bark Endeavour (1768)
schooner Californian (1848)
Swedish East Indiaman GÖTHEBORG (1745) and additional photos

Another replicas:
schooners Amistad, Pride of Baltimore
brigs Niagara, Lady Washington, Pilgrim
frigates Rose / Surprise
transport vessel Bounty
emigrant's ships Dunbrody, Jeanie Johnston

Real ships:
HMS Trincomalee 1817, in Hartlepool.
Portuguese frigate D. Fernando II e Glória 1843, in Lisabon.
Danish frigate Jylland 1860, in Ebeltoft.

Another ships:
USA - Constitution, Constellation, Charles W.Morgan
UK - HMS Victory, HMS Warrior, Cutty Sark
Martin
If you ever visit the Bataviawerf, do not forget to walk to the nearby NISA, the Dutch National Centre for Maritime History, [url:rvfmugme]http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/nsc.html[/url]. It is nice to see how the reconstruction workers are active, and hear one of them explain that he doesn't like "that recent avalanche of Roman ships", because there are so many far more interesting medieval ships.

Here [url:rvfmugme]http://www.livius.org/a/1/germania/woerden_7_lelystad.JPG[/url] you see the Woerden-7 waiting for preparation.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website