Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator....
and andy dick as caligula Wink sorry hehehhe
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I remember when "Julius Caesar" came out with Louis Calhern as Caesar and Marlon Brando as Antony. Critics thought Brando was hilariously miscast, since the only role he was known for at the time was Stanley Kowalski in "Streetcar Named Desire." Nobody thionks it's strange now.
As for Kubrick, I'm not sure how much input he had on the casting in "Spartacus." Kirk Douglas was producer and his first director quit on him so he called in Kubrick late in the proceedings. He'd worked with Kubrick on "Paths of Glory." He referred to Kubrick as "a talented shit."
Pecunia non olet
You are quite right Mr. Roberts.

Kubrick was brought in "after the fact" so most key parts were most likely already cast. And indeed, there was probably not much love lost between Douglas and Kubrick.

Even so, I do like the film.

When the restored version had a limited run here in LA we made a point of seeing it on a big screen at a theatre in Century City -- very impressive.

And one digression for Mr. Sumner...

The author of both 'All Quiet On The Western Front' and 'A Time To Love And A Time To Die' actually has a small part in the latter film, as the protagonist's old professor, hiding in the ruins of the city waiting for the Reich to collapse and the war to end.

But then you probably already knew that. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Oh, was von Remarke who played the old professor? I didn't knew! Confusedhock:
Thanks, David! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:A Time To Love And A Time To Die
I do, and I've been trying to remember the title for ages. Thanks! Daring stuff considering when it was made.
Quote:Peter Ustinov however said that Americans were more like the ancient Romans in Character.
Nick Nolte and Ray Winstone - my first choices for centurions.
Quote:Mel Gibson ... I expect that if ever he does make 'Boudicca' then the Roman bad guys who flog Boudicca and assault her daughters will look much the same and probably Boudicca will be played by an American!
Scottish probably, although Welsh would probably be the logical choice. I once stopped a Welsh mother and daughter at Charing Cross Station one morning as I'd been dying to know for a long time whether Welsh can be spoken in a Scottish accent, for a personal project. It turned out the daughter was an actor, and pulled it off perfectly to our mutual amusement (they had never even considered it before). Gave them something to talk about that day I suppose Big Grin
Quote:He'd have to thin out though. Caesar was pretty thin.
You haven't seen The Hours? Positively emaciated himself to fulfill the role of a man dying of AIDS.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That's of course Erich Maria Remarque: Im Westen nichts Neues, written in 1928. Big Grin
His book Zeit zu Leben und Zeit zu Sterben was written 1954, but even then it was censored!!
Read more here.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Vortigern,

Excellent link -- many thanks.

Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:The author of both 'All Quiet On The Western Front' and 'A Time To Love And A Time To Die' actually has a small part in the latter film, as the protagonist's old professor, hiding in the ruins of the city waiting for the Reich to collapse and the war to end.

But then you probably already knew that.

Hi

Well it is so long since I saw that film that I can not remember much about it, other than John Gavin being in it, a similar tragic ending to 'All Quiet ' and the actor who played Count Saknussen in 'Journey to the Cente of the Earth' was another dislikeable character! That film also starred James Mason of course, who was Timonides in 'Fall of the Roman Empire', so we are almost back were we started :wink:
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
In case anyone doesn't know what happened to John Gavin, he went on to become U.S. ambassador to Mexico, a post he occupied for many years.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:h6ncavpb Wrote:I noticed the commotion about Gladiator started by Woad Warrior and could not resist posting this: http://www.duncanbeedie.co.uk/gladiator.htm (ducking)
The link doesn't work anymore....sigh.
My apologies, I added a few dots after the url. Should work fine now.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Graham Sumner:2sw4vgi7 Wrote:I think we have Shakespeare to thank for the belief that Romans spoke Shakesperean english! All those Romano-phile plays of his. As far as British actors playing bad guys, well c'mon, imagine a super arch villian with say Bill Clinton's or Bush's accent? Would you be intimidated?

Travis

LOL - I don't know - I can think of a few films where Southerners are the bad guys...one of them, not exactly a classic film, but springs to mind : Dr. Loveless in the 90s version of Wild Wild West. Kenneth Brannaugh plays a highly entertaining Southern villain. Funny how its always Brits who end up playing the best Southerners, villain OR heroine (Scarlett O'Hara, anyone?)
Sharon Ferguson
Quote:One of my favourites is Remington Olmstead who played the centurion in Ben-Hur "No water for him!!"

And he has more than one Roman appearance: He was also one of the nasty guards/slave drivers in the sulphur mines in "Barabbas".
Aka
Christoph