Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depth of Greek Cavalry formations
Hi,
Marcus Junkelmann in "Die Reiter Roms II" (page 132) writes, that the Greek/Macedonian cavalry was usually formed in units min. 4 and max. 8 ranks deep, but without further details.
Do you know some primary sources talking about this? So far I've been able to find Xenophon's Hellenica III.4.13, where the Greek cavalry was formed 4 deep.
Thank you.
Alexandr
Thessalian and Macedonian cavalry also used non-rectangular formations. As I recall, these could be triangular or diamond/lozenge shaped, and were formed more than 4 ranks deep. I don't have the chart at hand, but I think these ran at least 8 ranks deep. Asclepiodotus' Taktika shows some diagrams of these formations. I believe they may be shown in either Conolly or Warry as well.
Felix Wang
Felix is right and I think more info come from Xenophone´s HIPPIKA.
Kind regards
Xenophon Hellenica 7.5.23-24

The Spartan-Athenian-etc Allied Greeks formed up their cavalry in a 6 deep rectangle. Xenophon seems to indicate that Epaminondas formed his cavalry up in a wedge-shape deeper than 6 ranks. The Perseus translation says a column – but the word used is ‘embolon’ and the LSJ defines it as denoting wedge shaped formation in the context of military formations. In ‘The Cavalry of Classical Greece’ IG Spence also argues that Epaminondas is using a wedge-shaped formation.
Paul Klos

\'One day when I fly with my hands -
up down the sky,
like a bird\'
Asclepiodotus mentions Greek squadrons of 16 men across and 8 ranks deep, resulting in a more or less square shape since horses are longer than they are wide. The diagrams of diamond-formations show formations of 11 ranks deep (61 men total) or 13 ranks deep.
Felix Wang
Hi,
thank you all for your answers. Of course I know about the wedge and diamond formations, but now I'm interested specifically in rectangular formations.
If you will find some other sources, please, throw them here.
Thanks again.
Greetings
Alexandr
Quote:Xenophon Hellenica 7.5.23-24

The Spartan-Athenian-etc Allied Greeks formed up their cavalry in a 6 deep rectangle. Xenophon seems to indicate that Epaminondas formed his cavalry up in a wedge-shape deeper than 6 ranks. The Perseus translation says a column – but the word used is ‘embolon’ and the LSJ defines it as denoting wedge shaped formation in the context of military formations. In ‘The Cavalry of Classical Greece’ IG Spence also argues that Epaminondas is using a wedge-shaped formation.

Paul, I think I will agree with him.
Emvolo is accuratly translated as wedge. This formation was known to skythians and Thracians. I was possible that Greeks might have copied it,
with colonists being the first and other city states following suit.
The quote you give though is the earliest reference.
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questioning two myths about ancient Greek cavalry Agonis 1 1,577 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Cavalry Operations in Ancient Greek World Vindex 10 2,567 12-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  degradation of Greek cavalry in Hellenistic era eugene 85 15,194 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias