Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman army units in the Post Roman West
Caius here Big Grin shock: I know of Sygraius, self styled King of the Romans, in Late 5th century Northen Gaul, however I am wondering if there is any more info on these units. Thanks in Advance Cheers Caius
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
As far as I know, Stilicho took away most Roman forces, and I do not exclude the possibility that Procopius presented Frankish units as Romans.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I have read two books that discuss the post-476 military in Gaul:

Merovingian military organization, 481-751 by Bernard S Bachrach ISBN: 0816606218

Fifth-Century Gaul : A Crisis of Identity? by John Drinkwater (Editor), Hugh Elton (Editor) ISBN: 0521529336

Bachrach’s book is difficult to find because it was written in 1972. He has written a book on Carolingian warfare in which he ties military organization of this dynasty to that of the Romans. This is a more recent release and is still available from Amazon or other retailers.

If you cannot find a copy of Bachrach’s older book, then please contact me as I have a copy.

Perry
Quote:As far as I know, Stilicho took away most Roman forces, and I do not exclude the possibility that Procopius presented Frankish units as Romans.
Not so.
Not only does arcaeology by no means attest that the forts were deserted, but what we can read from the Notitia Dignitatum also by no means suggests that Stilicho did anything like that. The Rhine was not deserted, not were other troops in Gaul or Britain taken away on such a scale.
It was the magister militum per Gallias Aegidius who in 461 rebelled with his forces, who no doubt were very Roman troops. After the Toxandrian Frankish king Clovis beat Aegidius' successor in 486, the latters' Roman army (exercitum Romanorum) was incorporated into Clovis' Frankish army (exercitus Francorum).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The distribution of Roman military units in Dardania in late antiquity Horeum Margi 0 122 01-12-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Horeum Margi
  AD455 - the fall of the Roman west? Nathan Ross 15 3,659 05-18-2017, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Elite forces/units in the Pre-Marian army (early- middle republic) Corvus 7 3,418 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Bryan