Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal - 3 times on German TV this weekend
Quote:Oh yes, no slings!!! I'm sure there were slings on the Punic side ...
No? I thought I saw some at Cannae and an earlier battle.. have to see it again though.
All in all this was a very good one. You could see the Osprey influence all through the film. The helmets could be better.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Oh, c'mon! At least they made a stab at African elephants - you usually end up with a bunch of Indian elephants with cheery smiles and happy dispositions!
I don't know if anyone caught the other documentary later on, which was a spinoff of the earlier dramatised version with a more academic approach? I only caught some of it, but it was interesting to hear that the Carthaginian elephants were a smaller now-extinct breed.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I don't know if anyone caught the other documentary later on, which was a spinoff of the earlier dramatised version with a more academic approach? I only caught some of it, but it was interesting to hear that the Carthaginian elephants were a smaller now-extinct breed.
I caught some of it before falling asleep.... 8)
Not the part of the fants though.

Personally I thought it a great thing to have Hannibal being played by Alexander!!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I saw slingers on the documentary afterwards - but they were slinging stones the size of house bricks!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I did like the pruduction values, but I must question the senators' dirty toga look. I know it gets away from that Holloywood shine, but I think that pure white togas were certainly the thing to have if you were a multi-millionaire senator.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I was a bit thrown by the size of the sling stone one slinger picked up! Confusedhock: Must have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger to hurl something that big!

I also like dthe very good attempt at showing the sinew helmets of the Spanish infantry, very close to the ones depicted in Peter Connoly's "Greece and Rome at war"

Over all very good attempt at authenticity, but when you have Adrian Goldsworthy as an advisor, you'd hope that they would get it as right as they could!

I enjoyed it. Smile

Regards,
TV's House Doctor Ann Maurice has been telling British householders to ditch their bath-room carpets for years as that is a fashion no no. It seems that the BBC must have been buying up all the old carpet stock as that is what seems the Roman Velites were wearing on their heads!

Otherwise the Legionaries did look good but how did Varro get away from Cannae. One minute he was in the frontline the next back in the Senate.

Did anyone else think that the actor who played Hasdrubal would make an exellent Hadrian should there ever be a documentary on him?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:TV's House Doctor Ann Maurice has been telling British householders to ditch their bath-room carpets for years as that is a fashion no no. It seems that the BBC must have been buying up all the old carpet stock as that is what seems the Roman Velites were wearing on their heads!

Otherwise the Legionaries did look good but how did Varro get away from Cannae. One minute he was in the frontline the next back in the Senate.

Did anyone else think that the actor who played Hasdrubal would make an exellent Hadrian should there ever be a documentary on him?

Graham.

Yes, for half the film I thought they were Egyptians!! I can't knock it too much though, I don't criticise film-makers too much, because it they got everything right, what would we do? We 'educate' they 'entertain'. And there is a big difference. But when I see details, I really appreciate them - the falcatas and the distrinctive Iberian headress, the great pushing match, battle-line fighting at Carrhae, the slingers and javelin-throwers ...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Ave omnes,

for those who missed Hannibal on TV, the DVD is available since June...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000FDF ... 51?ie=UTF8
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?