Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal - 3 times on German TV this weekend
Avete omnes,

interesting news for all who receive German TV senders 'ProSieben (Pro 7)' and 'Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen (ZDF)'.

Pro7 will show on Friday, May 5Th,

1. 'Hannibal - the nightmare of Rome' at 20:15 German time, a BBC docu-drama about Hannibal's crossing of the Alps:
[url:34q0368e]http://www.prosieben.de/service/tvprogramm/index.php?action=onProgramm&datum=2006-05-05[/url]
[url:34q0368e]http://www.cineastentreff.de/forum/kino-news-2400.html[/url]

2. immediately followed by a documentation in 'FOCUS TV' AT 22:15 German time that contains a report 'The face of Hannibal - at the traces of Rome's nightmare

ZDF will show on Sunday, 7Th,

3. a further, different documentation about Hannibal 'Hannibal - enemy of Rome' at 19:30 German time
[url:34q0368e]http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/programmuebersicht/0,2060,06_05_07-1-1,00.html[/url]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
A six minute trailer for the BBC docudrama can be found here:

[url:6v3743ms]http://stream.servstream.com/ViewWeb/BBC_Worldwide_General/File/81161.asx?Media=73517[/url]

This looks pretty interesting. 90 minutes is kind of short, though.
Aka
Christoph
Looks cool. Thanks for the link. The battle scenes look great, jam packed full of Republican legionaries who actually look like Republican legionaries Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Now, when does this come out here in the U.S., that's the question? But it looks like my brother in Germany is taping it for me, so at least I can watch it.
Aka
Christoph
Any Reviews on the BBC docudrama? The battle scenes look really good, Republican legionaries and alll...
Aka
Christoph
Hannibal docu-drama invades the UK! I'm assuming this is the same one.
BBC1 sunday 14th May @ 20:30
[url:17lgbng0]http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/prog_parse.cgi?FILENAME=20060514/20060514_2030_4223_4683_90[/url]
Hello Kate

Yes it is the same one, Hannibal is played by Deep Space Nine's Dr Bashir, sorry Alexander Siddig!

Quote:The battle scenes look great, jam packed full of Republican legionaries who actually look like Republican legionaries

Yes Jim all the legionaries wear red tunics, must be right :lol:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Cheers, Graham, I'd clocked it was the guy from DS9. And you've just explained why the Romans lost at Trebbia, Trasimene and Cannae - they were wearing red tunics and we all know that the guys in red tunics always die (at least in Star Trek!).
The BBC were doing some serious research on this, at least at the beginning - came down and talked to my colleague Louis Rawlings, but we're waiting to see how much got through!
Great I saw the Iberians (Turdetani), I hope the Ligurians are there too! :o

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Cheers, Graham, I'd clocked it was the guy from DS9. And you've just explained why the Romans lost at Trebbia, Trasimene and Cannae - they were wearing red tunics and we all know that the guys in red tunics always die (at least in Star Trek!).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very true. At least, it was in Kirk's day. Though in the time of TNG/DS9,
hadn't the Captains started wearing Red, instead... (Oh dear!) :wink:

Quote:The BBC were doing some serious research on this, at least at the beginning - came down and talked to my colleague Louis Rawlings, but we're waiting to see how much got through!

Hopefully, a bit more than on Gladiator. :wink:

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Avete omnes,

Kate wrote:

Quote:The BBC were doing some serious research on this, at least at the beginning - came down and talked to my colleague Louis Rawlings, but we're waiting to see how much got through!

IMHO very much got through. I saw it on last Sunday and found it rather impressive. Never seen so much Roman republican legionaries in correct armor before. All wore bronze or brass Montefortino helmets with sometimes slightly varying styles what made them not too uniform. Also You could see legionaries wearing mail cuirasses beside others that wore triple-disc breastplates. And they had large oval scuta without painting or decoration and when You saw marching columns - only a detail, but for me increasing the impression of authenticity - most of the soldiers went bare-headed and not, as so often seen before, with their helmets on. And - very nice, no loricae segmentatae or Weisenau helmets at all!

Also the battle order was better than in all other - also younger - films or documentations. The 8 legions advanced in close order (into the trap Cry ) with their scuta linked together in front of them. And they kept this formation when getting in contact with their Iberian or Gallic counterparts and did not fall into thousands of single duels.

The adversaries: Iberians with sinew helmets of different styles and a falcata in a close-up. A Gallic chieftain with the pointed helmet and some feathers at the top (a cool guy, as if he had jumped out of plate I from Angus McBrides Rome's enemies - The Gauls).

I think, most of us RAT-members will enjoy it (BBC 1, May, 14Th). Surely some will find mistakes that I oversaw. What disturbed me a little was the sad overall appearance of P. Cornelius Scipio the Younger, when he was in the beginning of the conflict riding with his father. He is the man on picture 9 of this site and wears an undefinable and far too small bronze helmet (more a cap) and the only thing that obviously should distinguish him from the ordinary soldiers, a bronze mail cuirass. I found it a little poor for a sub-commander:

[url:3jaecsuq]http://www.tvmovie.de/Foto-Galerie.93.0.html?&detail=6188802[/url]

Ambrosius wrote:

Quote:Hopefully, a bit more than on Gladiator. :wink:

Obviously, since "Gladiator" producers of ancient docu-dramas cannot refrain from one thing. The assault of Saguntum was supported by late-Roman catapults shooting fire balls on the walls.

I referred only to the equipment, the story or the plot may be a question of personal taste, so I let these comments to others. Last but not least, Alexander Siddig, the actor who played the title role: he did it convincing in my eyes, he did not overact and even has a little resemblance with the famous helmeted bust.

Greets to You all - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
The other film from the ZDF-Expedition, last sunday (see above in my first reference to this topic)

I only want to tell You the faults: Roman legionaries that wore only the mail armor combined with 2nd century Imperial Italic helmet from the Hebron type, very uniform appearance. This time the legions are led into the battle of Cannae by their commander-in-chief (!) Publius Cornelius Scipio the Younger, no word about Terentius Varro or Paullus, who in fact were sharing the overall command one day by the other. And this Scipio is leading his troops on foot walking far in front of his men, in armor with shield and sword but without any head protection, looks not very beleavable. Another detail: Hannibal - of course always fighting in the first rows without helmet, too - still has both eyes at Cannae. I'm afraid, the whole film is not comparable with the BBC documentation. Sad

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Don't forget. Tonight, Sunday, BBC1 8:30pm - 10:00pm.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:[url:1xukzgi8]http://www.tvmovie.de/Foto-Galerie.93.0.html?&detail=6188802[/url]

Hmmm. Not sure about those ear sizes on the heffalumps... ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
Uwe Bahr:1jop16jw Wrote:[url:1jop16jw]http://www.tvmovie.de/Foto-Galerie.93.0.html?&detail=6188802[/url]

Hmmm. Not sure about those ear sizes on the heffalumps... ;-) )

Mike Bishop

Oh, c'mon! At least they made a stab at African elephants - you usually end up with a bunch of Indian elephants with cheery smiles and happy dispositions!

I liked the scene where the elephant gets peppered with javelins at Zama. Very cool.

Oh yes, no slings!!! I'm sure there were slings on the Punic side ...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.