Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads-up: Extended Version of Polish "Quo Vadis" M
I just wanted to let everybody know that I just ordered and received an extended version DVD of the Polish 2001 "Quo Vadis". It seems to be the extended TV version of the theatrical release and is 270 minutes long! If you liked the shorter 3 hour version, you might be interested in getting this. I haven't watched it yet, and maybe the long version slows the story down, I don't know, but I sure am excited to see this.
I ordered it from this U.S. site and it was delivered (within the U.S.) within a few days:
[url:3fllz04g]http://www.polonia.com/polishbooks/product.asp?sku=11844[/url]
It's the NTSC version and is Polish with yellow subtitles.
Aka
Christoph
I hope it runs OK on your DVD player. When I got my copy of the theatrical DVD, it was in the wrong format and wouldn't play on my player.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
The theatrical release DVD I have is in European PAL format (zone 2) and plays well on a region-free DVD player, but not on a standard US zone 1 one. This new release however is Zone 1 to begin with, so there shouldn't be any problems. Just tried it out on my laptop, too, which is Zone 1 (US) only and it runs fine. Now to find the time to watch a 4 and a half hour DVD is a different issue...
Aka
Christoph
Apropos "Quo Vadis", does anyone of you know if there will be ever a DVD release of the classic film with Sir Peter Ustinov as Nero? :?: I love this movie and would like to add it to my DVD collection of course.
Svenja, weirdly enough, the 1951 Quo Vadis is available on VHS but not on DVD, so there can't be any legal issues preventing a release. I am sure they will bring it out on DVD as a MGM classics DVD one of these days. It is available on amazon.com as an offical Korean import, but I have no idea how the quality of that is.
Aka
Christoph
For all interested: I watched the Polish extended version over the weekend. Hadn't remembered what a powerful film this is, maybe it was the extended version or not, I don't know. The arena scenes are truly shocking and spectacular at the same time. The film starts kind of slow, but gains momentum as you go along. The performances are very good, especially Petronius. Definitely recommended, and the added hour and a half is a very nice bonus.
Aka
Christoph
Niedel is this in Polish or English? or hopefully at least subtitled.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
It's in Polish with yellow English subtitles. The subtitle translations are not great, especially with some of the Greek/Roman names you sometimes have to guess who they're talking about (one time, it's Corbulo, then later in the movie Korbul or something like that), but you definitely get what's being said.
Aka
Christoph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alexander \'extended edition\' is coming... Arthes 39 11,188 03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Arthes
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,901 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  New extended version of Gladiator to be released Aug 23rd Theodosius the Great 9 2,338 09-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus