Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was Romes first flag and when.
According to Livy, the Roman legion of the Latin War used flags (vexilla). As suspect as his description is, this part seams correct to me.
The Romans raised a flag (I believe from the Capitol) to signal, that the comitia centuriata was to convene on the campus Martius.

It has been supposed that they copied the use of vexilla from the Samnites. Various campanian fresco's show warriors flying pieces of cloth from spears. In the past these have simply been interpreted as flags. However, close examination of the pictures has shown these flags to have been tunics. Assuming this, the yellow strips at the sides must have been bronze girdles. So now the consensus is that they are trophies.
In my opinion both can be true. I.e. they started out as trophies and became regular field signs.
In support of this, some warriors carry flags in the same colour(s) as their own tunics. Also, in one instance the battle flag, flown from the tent of the commander, is described as a tunic (Plutarch, Pompey, 68 )

If style of vexillum where the cloth is hung from a horizontal stave is of a later date and possibly copied from the Gauls.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Messages In This Thread
Vexillum - by drsrob - 05-02-2006, 09:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  system of flag signalisation in ancient fleets eugene 5 1,561 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  RAT-member finds 300 AD chape at Flag Fen event Robert Vermaat 9 2,270 04-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS