Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Town in Spain is destroyed to build a parking lot
First let me say I agree with Dudicus in that guarding sites would be cool. I think that they sites should be preserved if possible. But living space is concerned, I think there should be a compromise. For example. When I was over in Normandy a couple of years ago, I was horrified that People were swimming on the Normandy invasion Beach's were so many Brits, Canadians, Americans and other allied forces fought and died. However, space in Europe is limited so it makes sense, because when things are so expensive you need more space. I think though that there should be a thorough dig of the site to procure as much info as possible. Then after that what needs to be done should be done. But it seems like to me alot of these government officials don't care and don't even realize that people used to live there that is the upsetting thing is that they treat it like open farm land. How would they feel if there house was paved over. However, I think the case that takes the cake though is the dist ruction of Caligula's boat by that German Capt, however to be fair the Allies did destroy Monte Cassino, but that was so they could take it. Just comes down to the fact that some actions are warranted some are not.

William Summe

(Felix Agrippa)
William Summe

(Felix Agrippa)

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead
Shouldn't we stay away from politics in this forum? Historically speaking, antiquity has been under attack from about all political parties and ideologies.

Quote:Just for a point of accuracy, the Nazis didn’t give the order to burn it, it was a spiteful act ordered by the single captain

I would love to see source for this. As far as I know, nobody knows exactly how the Nemi ships were burned. Museum staff found the site all burned down after germans had retreated from the hills (which were under allied artillery bombardment) and nazis were blamed for the act of course, but I've failed to found any concrete evidence in this case.

Those Nemi ships are very dear to me, having spent my childhood in Albano. I even have a piece of burned wood from the museum... Later these memories led to a seminar work about roman shipbuilding capabilities and the many peculiarities found in the Nemi ships. Luckily they were thoroughly documented in the 30s.

By the way, this is my first post here.
Welcome to RAT, Dardanus! (could you include your real name in your signature, please? forum rules...)

Indeed, probably best to stay away from much more political discussion; if anyone would like to continue, Off Topic is the preferred venue.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Welcome Dardanus! Well said!

BTW, Has somebody any graphic document of these ships?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Welcome to RAT, Dardanus! (could you include your real name in your signature, please? forum rules...).

Ah, it was in my signature but the signature for the post was disabled for some odd reason. My bad.

Quote:BTW, Has somebody any graphic document of these ships?

Nemi ships were initially documented by Guido Uccelli (Le navi di Nemi, 1950). A reference list could be found here. There were some very good pictures in Deborah Carlson's article in Archaeology 03/2002 (Caligula’s Floating Palaces). Uccelli's schematic drawings were reproduced in Viereck, H. D. L.: Die Römische Flotte. Herford 1975. I can scan those for you if you want.

Also, there is an ongoing project to build a replica vessel (Diana Nemorensis, but it seems to have been dormant since 2002.
Just impressing. Thanx Dardanus!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Such a loss, this topic is making me sick. I must go now before i get the urge to hurt someone.
~~Gavin Nugent~~

Who told you to die! Keep fighting!

If anyone knows of anything in Long Island, New York please tell me.
I've always been very interested on the Nemi ships (2 or 3 of them? :wink: ) and the information on Uccelli's book is really tantalising.
i've found some of the reconstructive proposals on Diana Nemorensis a little hard to swallow...
Dardanus,
Would you be interested on opening a new topic on the Nemi ships on Ancient Civ Talk section to discuss about them at leisure? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Felix -

Certainly not to get too far off topic, the idea of people swimming at Normandy actually I think is a good thing, to the point that people have decided to move on, and make good, peaceful use of an otherwise dark and horrible place of death.

It is a wierd contast, although, because battlefields and sites I do think ought to be preserved and protected, but they should also serve a purpose other than to ensure people don't forget and have something physical to connect with history beyond a statue or monument. The example I think of is Gettysburg - it not only serves as a reminder of the Civil War, but it also functions as a Park - a public space to be used and appreciated by the people. It's also "Open Space", something we here in the states I fear/feel we take too much for granted until it's developed or destroyed. In contrast, a site like Austwitz...A part of me just wants that horrible scar bulldozed over and removed forever. I would find it more fitting, in a way like Normandy, that the space of that site could be put to better use. This is of course not to say that removing it means forgetting the lessons, just that I'll get a sick feeling deep down to think that site is being "preserved"...sometimes to me it's like picking at a scab, it'll never heal if you keep scratching it open. But I know I'm way off topic here. so I'll just leave it at that. Perhaps a topic for another section.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:
tlclark:1j56vhz8 Wrote:This is as bad as the loss of that Roman city in Turkey. I can't say that America is doing much better in Philadelphia though. Just a few years ago we destoryed the last surviving remnants of the first executive mansion.

Many historic Civil War Battlefields are under threat from overdevelopment.

Thank for Lord for the Battlefields Trust here in Britain (though they still built a bypass right through the middle of Naseby battlefield, the site of one of the most crucial battles in British History).

Admittedly there is a lot of Roman stuff around but this sounds like an exceptional site. Ghastly. Sad x
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spain still Roman in 494 AD? Barbula 8 1,238 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Another \"new\" Roman town in Devon 66kbm 40 8,023 07-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Late Roman Fortifications in Spain - help SMC 13 2,856 11-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat