Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelta
Anyone have information on how to make a pelta? Thracian, Greek, it doesn't matter, I need to see how the wicker was woven and the animal hide stretched over it...
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Actually Pelti means animal skin initially.
Three or four layers of sole skin can resist a lot of things. (Demonstrated to me by the guy who made my Thracian boots!)
Votive clay fragments shoe evidence of wicker work. (were presented in Connolly books I think). So its OK I think
I think Dan_Z made a wicker one!
If you think crescent shape-well it was in use from the time of the Myceneans.
In Cyprus it was found bronze Bose's for Pelta and bronze perimeter "backing"!
The shield of the Macedonian pikemen was also ca led pelta!
I imagine Thracians due to Forrest's rich in game would use skins and leather while Greeks would used wicker work reinforced with leather or layers of linen.
We tent to think it only as leather but we cannot rule out other materials.
Remember necessity is the mother of invention.
Hope I helped.
Kind regards
Incidently, Asclepiodotus also uses the term apsis in describing the shields which phalangites carried.
Felix Wang
ASPIS in Ancient and Modern Greek means literally "shield".
The only writer that mentions peltasts and psiloi destinctivley is Xenophon.
I do not remeber others now.
Kind regards
Johnny, I don't think there is any firm evidence of how to do it. Look at the Hoplite association website for one method. I'm making one by fitting willow wands into a bent willow frame and interweaving them, but it is just an experiment. I'm not sure I'll have it ready for the Festival. Tinker Naylor has commissioned one to be made by a basketweaver - I'll see if I can get a picture when it's done.