Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of technological progress in late Roman Empire
Would explain how they managed to get all those paving slabs so thin! :wink: Smile
What is the dating on the relief?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:What is the dating on the relief?
The author dates it to the second half of the 3rd C AD.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:20nzf87e Wrote:What is the dating on the relief?
The author dates it to the second half of the 3rd C AD.
I would bet it was old technology by that time though! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Have they just found the Hierapolis stele only recently? The article on it is from 2009, and I don't believe Wilson's seminal 2002 paper on ancient technology references it either. In short, is it a new find? (Sorry, I can't read the German in that article)

Yes, it is quite new and Wilson does not yet refer to it. In fact, there are now altogether three different sawmills archaeologically attested for antiquity. Plus those found in literary references. See for the state of research: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierapolis_sawmill
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Direct evidence of Roman cranks:

Volpert, Hans-Peter: "Eine römische Kurbelmühle aus Aschheim, Lkr. München", in: Bericht der bayerischen Bodendenkmalpflege, Vol. 38 (1997), pp. 193-199. Volpert describes the find of a large mill stone powered by a true crank handle, dated to the late 2nd century AD

Rudolf Laur-Belart: "Führer durch Augusta Raurica", 5th ed., Augst 1988, pp. 51–52, 56, fig. 42, the crank is depicted here, and is dated to no later than 250 AD

This means that, while only a decade ago the absence of the crank in Roman times was widely regarded as a given fact, the direct evidence of these two excavated specimen, plus the indirect, but no less compelling evidence of crank motion in the three archaeologically attested saw mills (plus additional literary references to such mills which are now finally taken seriously), demonstrates the diversified use of the crank by the Romans beyond any doubt. :mrgreen:

More on the early history here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_%28mechanism%29
Good job on debunking myths once again. Could you explain what would be the great significance of absence of such cranks (e.g. did it mean Romans were anti-technological and pro-slave again?), as well as perhaps any examples of polemical medievalist writing putting this absence to good use? I have in mind, as examples, the articles De Notters (sp?) and Lynn White have written on Roman horses and plough technology, which were taken as gospel but now, in retrospect, are seen to be biased almost to the point of vitriol. Even now, look to what degree Lynn White is cited on the Wiki Plough page :?
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
Quote:Good job on debunking myths once again. Could you explain what would be the great significance of absence of such cranks (e.g. did it mean Romans were anti-technological and pro-slave again?), as well as perhaps any examples of polemical medievalist writing putting this absence to good use?

In a nutshell, the crank is necessary for transmitting rotary motion into linear one (or vice versa) and as such has been a prerequisite for many, if not most mechanical automated processes of the Industrial Revolution.

Richard Lefebvre des Noëttes, a retired French officer who devoted his time to the study of ancient traction systems, was used by both Lynn White and Joseph Needham as a crown witness for the perceived technological backwardness of the ancient world exemplified in the influential (and wrong) image of ancient horses choked by Greek-Roman harnesses. At the height of White's influence, even classicists adopted his views, such as here: David W. Reece - The Technological Weakness of the Ancient World (1969)
Brian Stobbs was hypothesizing about the use of drop hammers used for producing helmets etc some time back. this would definitely facilitate such equipment.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technological studies on Bronze Age metal body armour Steven James 0 885 12-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Empire provision of swords? Richie 10 2,848 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  SHORT SWORDS IN LATE EMPIRE SERVICE Anonymous 10 4,143 09-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Paul Elliott