Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geology of Attica (Marathon, Salamis)
Reconstructions of the naval battle of Salamis always mention that since Antiquity the sea level has risen for about a fathom. Peter Green, whose book on the Greco-Persian wars I am now reading, agrees with this. However, he also says that at Marathon, the sea has receded. As long as the Law of the Communicating Vessels is correct, Green's statements contradict each other.

Unless, of course, an earthquake (or something like it) has pushed up the Marathon area and pushed down the Salamis area. However, to the best of my knowledge, the main fault line in the Aegean region lies east of Attica.

I have received the name of a retired geologist, who knows these things. However, I do not want to bother him with a question unless I have tried other means. So - is there anyone here who knows more about this?

(The obvious conclusion, in my view, is that Green is simply inconsistent. That would not be unique. In his account of Artemisium, he writes that the Persians could see the Greek navy during the night, and a couple of pages later, the Greeks are able to leave their base unseen.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
In his study of Marathon, N G L Hammond notes that the combination of the cape of Cynosura and mild tides in the bay means that silt has likely advanced the shore line into the bay, since the 5th Century.

Perhaps that is what Green is suggesting by the sea receding, rather than a drop in sea level.
Paul Klos

\'One day when I fly with my hands -
up down the sky,
like a bird\'
Yes, yes, yes. This may be the solution. Of course the deposit of more than a fathom high is pretty much, but as a first hypothesis, this is a very good idea. Anyone else?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I havent read the book but about geological changes, please kindly note:
The ground of Attika and most of Greece for that matter is mostly argillic/boxite in composition.
The "soft" ground is sencitive to geological phenomena like earthquakes and theeffect of water.
The ancient rivers Ilissos and Kiffisos, oficially "dry" were stumbled upon underground(!!)
during the excavation for the subway construction in the 90s.
the latest excavations in Salamis that found the palace of Ajax dicovered that the coast line had been
"transformed" by the sea. Please check the Thermopylae thread to see the extend of how the sea and
the rivers cna change the appearence of a place.
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Strategy at the Battle of Salamis Vindex 0 1,084 03-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Salamis Jona Lendering 3 1,367 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Salamis: sound and vision Jona Lendering 7 1,928 05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering