Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sagum
Lovely, thanks Aitor. Have black paint - clavii on new red tunic next Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
No, i lent my copy to a friend one and a half years ago. Not likely that I´ll have it back soon....
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
With something like tablet-woven borders, do we have any evidence that they were cut off and reused on new garments?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Tablet weaving is its own kind of weaving. How would it have been woven directly off of the weave of the sagum? How would one do this?

Graham Sumner seems to suggest that a civilian version existed. Is this so?
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Well, basicall all of the findings from northern Germany and Denmark have the rims woven at the same time as the cloak. The fabric´s weft thread is also the rim´s warp thread. On the long sides the fabric´s warp thread becomes the rim´s weft thread. Thiis only possible on a weight-loom.
[Image: kerstin_weben.jpg]
[Image: weben_gew3.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
As far as I know most of the evidence for tablet weaving during the principate comes from North of the border, the empires that is i.e. from modern day Germany and Scandinavia. There is a debate amongst modern textile experts roughly divided along the old imperial borders as to the origins of this body of evidence. Those in the old empire prefer to think that the garments with tablet weaving are typical of Iron age and Germanic costume. However some experts on the other side of the frontier argue that the higher quality garments were imported or looted from the empire pointing to the other Roman items such as weapons and precious goods found with the burials.

Of course after the empire takes on more and more troops of Germanic origin the position becomes even more confused especially when both sides start copying each others fashions. So by the time of the famous image of Stilicho in his highly decorated cloak, long sleeved tunic and trousers we do not have a Roman officer of Germanic origin dressed in Germanic clothes but a Roman general of Germanic origin dressed in Roman clothes!

As we have no definite examples of Roman Military cloaks of any kind at this early date to my knowledge, it would be impossible for me to say that there are military and civilian versions of tablet weaving.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Tablet weaving is its own kind of weaving. How would it have been woven directly off of the weave of the sagum? How would one do this?
There would be a set of cards/tablets on each side of the warp, these would be rotated as needed for the pattern, and held in place while the shed was made in the "main body" of the fabric. We're entertaining the idea of doing just that, but not for a piece of cloth big enough for a tunic. Too many things to hold onto for us modern folks. Also, if you understand tablet weaving, the shed is very small, and not easy to penetrate with the larger shuttles needed for weaving large pieces of cloth...the two kinds of sheds (three total) are not the same height.

It's not unusual at all for the warp threads to be the weft threads of a tablet woven header strip, and the same process can be used for a "footer" to make a very nice selvage top and bottom on the loom. It would be tricky to make the footer, but it could be done. The header's only problem is getting all those strings to stay untangled long enough to get the loom strung! No small task, if you're dealing with 200-300 strings!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.