Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were the Germans physically superior?
Quote: Your suggestion is way off base.
Finally, there was hardly ever an intense "Yugoslav" nationalism. You do realize that a bitter war was fought amongst the constituent peoples of Yugoslavia in the 1990s...and that the nation of Yugoslavia no longer exists?
:wink:
It's by no means way off. Tito (remember him?) supported such historical interpretations and Yugoslav nationalism existed for sure, I can tell you that. Books about the Illyrians from the 1960s and 70s are a clear results from that wish for a 'pan-Jugoslav' people.
And yes, I realise the bitter history of former Yugoslavia since the death of Tito and the resulting break-up of the country.
Also, no reason to joke about that.

Quote: Albanians are most likely to support a lineage to Illyrians. Croatian, Serbian, Slovene, Macedonian, and Bosnian Muslim mainstream academia present very different histories, none of which are particularly motivated to rival Romans, Celts, or Germans as a tribe. In fact, most of these South Slavic people don't put themselves in any meaningful picture until the 6th century at the earliest, but mostly much later.
I know that, you dn't have to tell me. But apparently, following the earlier example of the Íllyrians', there are still those who want to see an almost pan-Europen group that preceded the later (identified) groups. I own a book in which some Slovenes try to sell off the idea that the Slovenes existed in Eastern to Southern Europe prior to the Celts (we're talking 500BC) , and that the Celts and Romans later 'just' arrived, but later went away, leaving the Slovenes in place, as they 'apparently' had existed before. The book then went on to deny a Slav migration, arguing that the Slovenes had always been there.

A bit like those who want to see Germans in Britain before the Romans. It's true! Such people exist!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: - by MeinPanzer - 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Re: Re: - by Tarbicus - 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: - by Alanus - 04-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Re: - by SigniferOne - 05-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Robert Vermaat - 05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Abe - 12-25-2012, 04:59 AM