Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were the Germans physically superior?
Hi José,
Quote:Sorry but i'm not jugoslav
I never suggested that you were. I suggested that the Illyrians were a creation of Yugoslav nationalism. I've read about the wish of Tito to create a Yugoslav ''ancestor-people" that could rival with the Romans, Celts and Germans as a large 'proto-European' tribe. I'm therefore not sure that 'THE Illyrians' existed, or that they, as I wrote, were a figment of 'Yugoslav imagination'.
But if the Illyrians were more than a group of languages but also a cultural group, there does not seem to be any solid proof to build a coherent theory on. Linguists think that the proto-Illyrians branched off from Indo-European tribes, thereby assuming a geographical move towards where we find them in the historical period. But material evidence has never been conclusive enough for archaeologists to prove a cultural developing group such as the Hallstatt group.

I'm not going to discuss the name 'Celtic' here, i just want to explain my point about the Illyrians.

Quote:sorry man Hallstatt are absolutly a NON Celtic cultural manifestation ..Celts were on Central and Eastern Europe on after Illyrians or venetic on late centuries before the romans took the control of these area and the Celts were the "new kids on the block" nor the "original owners" Smile
You say 'absolutely''? I bet you can back that strong statement up with some references.
I only know of a theory that places proto-Illyrians (or proto-Veneti) in the eastern part of the Hallstatt zone, and only the Alpine parts at that. The middle and western parts (from Bavaria to the middle of France) of this cultural zone were to my knowledge never associated with either Illyrians or Veneti. To my knowledge, no linguistic remains of these groups (which are mostly defined by language) do not appear there.

But we're moving away from the original topic - maybe I should create a new thread: "Who were the Illyrians"?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: - by MeinPanzer - 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Re: Re: - by Tarbicus - 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: - by Alanus - 04-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Robert Vermaat - 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Re: - by SigniferOne - 05-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Abe - 12-25-2012, 04:59 AM