Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were the Germans physically superior?
Back to the question. Big Grin

Quote:Caesar mentioned that the German soldiers were usually taller than the Roman legionaries, but I don't know if taller necessarily means "superior." If you look the athletes who compete in Olympic fencing, most of them are of average height. Longer limbs can probably generate greater leverage, but a bigger body also means more exposed flesh.

Again, I don't think bigger-German equates with "physical superiority." Longer limbs create more leverage, but a large body and long limbs may also make for slower reaction. Take for example a lightening-fast athlete like Jet Li. :lol:

I know it's almost a joke (discussing Jet Li). He has fast motor-reactions, and at the same time he is a small man. Whereas someone like say the (somewhat) late Andre the Giant, was a plodding ... well, Giant. If you get my drift. Bigger appears to be slower. If I were a compact Jet Li Italian-Roman, chances are I could draw my gladius faster than Andre the German could pull out his big, long, slashing sword... and I'd stab the sob before he had a chance to say, "What the...?" :wink:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: - by MeinPanzer - 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Re: Re: - by Tarbicus - 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: - by Alanus - 04-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Alanus - 04-13-2010, 05:43 PM