Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Exhibit Event in Mobile AL Jan 2007--Interest?
Interest in Mobile, Alabama Pompeii Exhibit Event in 2007?

We have been contacted by the Exploreum Museum ( www.exploreum.net ) regarding hosting an event January 11-14, 2007 in conjunction with the US Premier of the Pompeii Exhibit opening at the Museum in Mobile, Alabama.

Essentially this would be a Friday, Saturday, Sunday event, so we would look to a Late Thursday/early Friday arrival time. The museum is looking at assisting re-enactors with reimbursement for travel, very low hotel rates for those who need to hotel ($55-$75 at a brand new Renaissance Marriot which is re-opening in conjunction with the Pompeii Exhibit). A feast Saturday evening, and most importantly: Free admission to actually see the Pompeii Exhibit (perhaps with a private guide). This exhibit will be touring the US in 2007 and I believe will only be at about 4 locations nationwide, so that is a unique opportunity!

The event would be hosted at the USS Alabama State Park ( www.ussalabama.com ) which also has a number of attractions many of us would find interesting. We will be able to stay onsite, camp, and cook. Think of it as Nashville, with a Battleship, and events for the re-enactors, plus a chance to see the Pompeii Exhibit.

Basically I need to know how many folks are interested! Pretty much any Roman impression will be welcome, as we will be taking the Castra Romana Marketplace and plan to have a large soldiers camp, a market, and other Roman Related events.

Soldiers? Civilians? Senators? Vendors? I do not need a commitment now, just rough numbers for planning.

Use the poll to get let me know if you think you could come.

Please shoot me an email at [email protected] with questions or ideas.

"A fearful black cloud was rent by forked and quivering bursts of flame . . ., darkness fell . . . as if a lamp had been put out in a dark room." Eyewitness account of Pliny the Younger, a survivor of Pompeii.

On August 24, A.D. 79, the Roman city of Pompeii was buried by the catastrophic eruption of Mount Vesuvius. The very debris and ash that so suddenly and violently ended life in Pompeii also encased the city in a virtual time capsule. As a result, Pompeii is today one of the most complete and intact archeological sites in the world.

A day in Pompeii takes visitors back in time to experience life and death in this cosmopolitan city. The exhibition features over 250 exceptional objects that lay buried in Pompeii’s ruins for over 17 centuries. Included are room-size frescoes, marble and bronze sculptures, jewelry, gold coins and everyday household items – all of which evoke the richness and culture of daily life in the Roman Empire’s favorite vacation resort.

Most poignant and dramatic, however, are the body casts of the volcano’s victims, frozen in their last moments: a couple in their final embrace, a man clutching a cloth to his mouth, a fleeing slave with his ankle manacle still in place, a dog struggling on its chain.

This is the first time that many of these objects are touring in North America. Mobile is the premiere Alabama and southeast U.S. venue for an exhibit of Pompeii artifacts and victims.
Ok, I give, how do I vote in the poll??

M. Demetrius
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I need some rough numbers by this thursday, 4/27, so email me here [email protected] if you think you could make the event. Also feel free to forward this info to anyone you need to!
How do you vote?
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Exhibit - Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto varia cassia 1 1,530 07-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS
  Nijmegen Roman Event 2007 Robert Vermaat 26 5,037 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Another exhibit from Pompeii/Herculaneum Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs 6 2,177 02-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Memmia