Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the scutum have a horizontal grip?
From Skinny Head -- Hey, any of you scadian types that fight as Romans have any input? I know the "style" of fighting is different, but there might be some good insight into the leverage and stability of the horizontal grip.

I have played SCA combat off an on for the past 25 years or so. I occasionally use a large oval scuta as part with my late Roman impression. You are right that SCA combat is basically stick tag, fast and hard stick tag, but stick tag all the same. Its going to be different than using real blades to risk real lives. But I think it offer some insight into the question.

In my experience, a vertical grip makes a center grop shield far more effective in combat than a horozontal grip. Sure, there are strengths and weaknesses for both options, but I think the vertical wins out. for starters your head block is much quicker. Ofensive shield use is quicker -- the vertical grip gives you more options, including the ability to move the shield from side to side with greater speed and strength. The one area where a horozontal grip pgives an advantage is blocking below the knee -- an illegal target in SCA combat conventions.

Here is a youtube link from a tourney in Northern CA several weeks ago. A friend of mine is using a slightly curved oval scutum as part of his 1st Century BC gallic impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JuriSxuKGE

All that said, its far less work to carry around a horozontal grip scuta, particularly a curved one. Its just not partical carry a vertical grip shield, especially a heavy one, more than a short distance.

So I think that the horozontal grip was more about getting the shield to the fight and keeping it there for the duration than about a head to head decision on combat effectiveness. I think its also important to remember that the combat effectiveness of a roman army unit is less about the prowess of individual legionaries and more about their collective prowess.
Allectus
Alec Arago
Spreckels, CA

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why did the scutum have a horizontal grip? - by Allectus - 05-02-2008, 11:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Grip Cobra 40 10,641 10-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat