Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 day rations
Salvete -

Rufus\\n[quote]I use 1 cup of red wine and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar per gallon. Tried allot of different variants first and arrived on that mixture due to personal preference, which I bet played allot into how you mixed it back in the day.

I just wanted to say "thanks" for the recipe, used twice now with good success. Our legion was at a timeline event a few weeks ago, and a jug of posca was our contribution to the period food feast. It was a big hit with the other reenactors. I labelled it "Roman Gatorade" for PR purposes...and it seemed to work. One more (small) victory for Roman ingenuity.
Gauis Julius Quartus / John Christianson

Multum cum in omnibus rebus tum in re militari potest fortuna. (Caesar, BG, VI.30)
Sorry for interrupting but what about onion and garlic?
Did the romans used it? Both are very healthy and have some antiseptic values as well. To be honest I haven't made so far any research whether it's authentic or not (hence I ask) but we always have onions with us on marches. Also we use some olive oil mixed with crushed garlic instead of butter (it would be hard to carry in a cloth bag). Just sop the bread in it and voila. It's delicious and refreshing.
Of course you will stink but who cares... :wink:
Valete,

József Janák
Miles Gregarius
Legio I Adiutrix
Pannoniciani Seniores
Brigetio, Pannonia
I read somewhere gladiators ate a lot of garlic. Onions were certainly knwn and consumed too!

Cheers,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
the last camping trip i went on with my friends i prepared about a dozen hard tack loafs. this batch didn't turn out as well as i would have liked, so we just dipped it in our ramen to soften it up and add some flavor. anyone else try dipping hard tack in soup or stew?
Another thing, a few years back i went on a dog sleding trip in the minnesota boundary watters in janurary. my group's water source was the water from the frozen over rivers and lakes we camped on, we boiled it to sterilize it but it left the water nearly undrinkable because of the taste. the flavor was somthing like hot cab driver armpit, so we had to add juce concentrate we had to make it palatible. maybe romans boiled water then added sour wine as insurance and to make it not taste like an armpit... :lol:
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
we were out of supply and out of water. Needed a drink. Beautiful stream, crystal clear water, cool, ... tasted great, even a little sweet, quenched my thirst...
only found the dead bodies 200 Meters upstream after I was finished drinking...
oh well, no one got sick.... mainly because I didn't tell them until later.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:only found the dead bodies 200 Meters upstream after I was finished drinking... oh well, no one got sick.... mainly because I didn't tell them until later.
A nice bit of fiction (I hope!) to put into perspective the very real possibilities of contracting disease from untreated water.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
sorry, not fiction...
after that I always scout upstream before setting up a camp, or drinking....
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
Quote:only found the dead bodies 200 Meters upstream

Dead bodies? Bodies of what species? :?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
sorry for taking so long to reply, somehow this got away and I didn't see it. Maybe my connection crashed, that always erases my unviewed list.

Species Bos taurus, Family Bovidae.......
Dead cows (longhorn) Probably not any communicable diseases, except brucellousis (sp) or something, but still pretty gross. It made me much more aware throughout my military and outdoors activities about checking upstream from where you drink. And watch your own horses and people who wander upstream, some of them don't know not to use the water as a toilet.... Moral of the story? Always boil or treat your drinking water.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3-Days of Marching Rations Paul Elliott 35 6,116 08-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Semisalis Abruna