[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Ok, I know this is OT, but... :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Dumb Questions :?:
:!: There are no dumb questions. The only stupidity that exists, is not asking questions, even dumb ones.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Here you go
Steve
Left-pointing arrows are sinister.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Ave guys,

Thank you all for your comments and words of wisdom :wink:

However, may I suggest that someone hosts the three additional Arrow , so that we can all use them to enhance our future posts. Confusedhock:

I know that it's a bit of a radical notion, but I keep trying to stre-----tch the restrictions imposed upon us by the limitations of the phpBB system. :roll:

My philosophy is; when a page is visually interesting then the viewer will be stimulated to read on. Idea That in turn could spark a reaction and a discussion will be initiated. Big Grin cry:

What are your views on this :?:

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:
Quote:Dumb Questions :?:
:!: There are no dumb questions. The only stupidity that exists, is not asking questions, even dumb ones.

How about the stupidity that exists in not listeningto/thinking about the answers?

E.g.

"So you're Ancient Greeks?"

"Yes."

"Who's the enemy?"

"Well, we represent Classical Greece, during the Persian Wars."

"So who are you fighting against?"

"Um, it's the Persian Wars..."

[Blank look]

Incidentally, why is it that everyone else does stage directions between two asterisks? Why was it necessary to invent an alternative to the wheel, as it were?
Hi Jim,
It would only really be useful if I made additions to the emoticons, so those arrows are easily usable. Though I'm willing to do that, I do not agree with your notion that a more interesting page - with more big & little pictures - stimulates the viewer to read on. And again, suggesting that this phpbb limits your experience on RAT is not likely to attract my goodwill, considering the amount of time (which can certainly no longer be reckoned in minutes or hours) modifying the board.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Hi Jim,
It would only really be useful if I made additions to the emoticons, so those arrows are easily usable. Though I'm willing to do that, I do not agree with your notion that a more interesting page - with more big & little pictures - stimulates the viewer to read on. And again, suggesting that this phpbb limits your experience on RAT is not likely to attract my goodwill, considering the amount of time (which can certainly no longer be reckoned in minutes or hours) modifying the board.

Ave Jasper,

Which word or collection of words "stimulated" you to respond :?:

Don't you agree that "one picture is worth a thousand words" :?:

Don't you agree that some more emoticons would be worthwhile additions to the board :?:

I'm not making these suggestions to either attract your goodwill or your wrath but with a sincere wish to encourage improvements. Smile

None of the things that I write are personal attacks on you, Jasper, you do know that, I hope :?:

One final item, if we have to watch what we write for fear of upsetting someone, what's the point of writing anything at all :?:

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Just link to an external emoticon; it's what I do when I rarely want to be specific with an expression, and it's really simple. No way Jasper should spend a month or two changing the format of the board.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jim,
Yes, I realize you mean no personal attacks at me, but I do tend to get crabby if someone suggests the board limits their modes of expression, when so much time has been put into extending those possibilities.
Yes pictures speak a thousand words, that's why I installed the 'attachment' mod which allows members to easily upload pictures that illustrate what they want to say. Personally, I think text that is broken up with a motherload of emoticons is not pleasant to read. Emoticons clarify or modify what you're saying, but it is certainly possible to drown your argument in emoticons...
As the Germans would say 'In die Beschränkung zeigt sich der Meister' (~ skill is shown in limiting yourself. I'm sure German members could give a better translation).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This takes dumb to a new level... ParthianBow 4 1,376 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Gaius Decius Aquilius